Winch Maintanance and Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imdubious

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought one of these last week since I broke my hook at Raptoberfest.

I love both of mine on the raptor and the car hauler. Have the recon winch on both as well. Only issue i have ever had was the wireless remote on the raptor only lasted about a month. Im to lazy to trouble shoot pass a battery change thought.

Sent from your mothers iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The winch got a good work out at Snoball II. I'm pleases with the upgrades.

For those who have a Recon winch, I highly recommend re-wrapping the winch drum with a solid winch line drum connector. There was another guy with a recon winch that had a hard pull, and the rope came off the drum. Added some additional time to our recovery since we had to re-wrap the drum.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My winch never got to be unspooled at Snoball. I was really hoping to send a good action shot to Warn, after their outstanding customer service.

I noticed a few things about the winch that you cover on here. I have a Zeon 10S (synthetic rope, rated at 10,000 pounds).

It includes a rock guard abrasion sleeve in the box, which you just have to slide on the rope before installing on the winch. Warn installed a gusseted thimble already:

aruvagy3.jpg

It was very easy to just attach the Prolink to the thimble.

The Zeon uses a handy puck to retain the rope to the drum:

http://youtu.be/jhmw243q2jY

And the last several feet of rope are red, so you won't be likely to unspool too much & get beyond the minimum 10 wraps around the drum.

I'll soon be adding a rope guard/drum cover and a remote mount for the winch control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The winch got a good work out at Snoball II. I'm pleases with the upgrades.

For those who have a Recon winch, I highly recommend re-wrapping the winch drum with a solid winch line drum connector. There was another guy with a recon winch that had a hard pull, and the rope came off the drum. Added some additional time to our recovery since we had to re-wrap the drum.

Since I was "the other guy" I will be fixing up my winch shortly with your suggestions Joe. Thanks for putting the info on here.

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I found that Samson has a rope splicing and inspection Phone app really good info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk