Getting ready for winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Yeah it's getting close to that time where we need to start getting ready for old man winter. In Colorado the snow can start as early as September and people are always finding themselves in the ditch! So I picked up a couple of must have items for my Raptor to use when she will be rescuing the unfortunate. I got a 3"x30'x 30,000 lb. Smitty Built recovery strap from Outlawraptor.com (an FRF vender) for $27 + $10 shipping, cheaper then anywhere else I could find and really well made! Also a new item from Bully, a Cinch Bone that I got from Realtruck.com that was $19.95 but had a $20.00 coupon and free shipping so it cost nothing! The cinch bone makes it so you don't need a shackle with the recovery strap and protects the strap from knotting or cutting.

Attachments

• cinch-bone.jpg
    cinch-bone.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 88
  • cinch-bone-in-use.jpg
    cinch-bone-in-use.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 93

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I will not discuss winter yet.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

408RCLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's getting close to that time where we need to start getting ready for old man winter. In Colorado the snow can start as early as September and people are always finding themselves in the ditch! So I picked up a couple of must have items for my Raptor to use when she will be rescuing the unfortunate. I got a 3"x30'x 30,000 lb. Smitty Built recovery strap from Outlawraptor.com (an FRF vender) for $27 + $10 shipping, cheaper then anywhere else I could find and really well made! Also a new item from Bully, a Cinch Bone that I got from Realtruck.com that was $19.95 but had a $20.00 coupon and free shipping so it cost nothing! The cinch bone makes it so you don't need a shackle with the recovery strap and protects the strap from knotting or cutting.

Hook us up with the coupon dude :waytogo:
Im always pullin out stranded chevy's so that'd be nice to have... :ROFLJest:

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
My standard running gear has 3 straps of different lengths, shackles (different sizes), and a pretty comprehensive set of tools. Summer or winter - the shit just comes in handy.

Someone else started a winter thread (in August!) and something to add to the list is to have your Raptor underbody oiled to repel salt. A generous application of petroleum jelly to the aluminum rims will also prevent corrosion and washes off in spring with hot water.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Honestly dude, I wouldn't touch that cinch bone with a 10ft pole... looks like nothing more than a projectile... Using tow straps is a lot more serious than people think. One thing to come loose and that thing turns into a lethal projectile. The driver of this truck died because they used a shackle to link two straps together. One strap broke and sent the shackle through the cab striking the driver in the head. All metal involved in tow straps should be connected to the frame/tow package (NO bumpers).

CIMG0838.JPG

CIMG0841.JPG

Banned
Reaction score
Damn. That's crazy. I've seen very similar things happen, a semi with a load of bails was halfway in the ditch, hooked an f450 up to it with chain (********* I know) of course the chain broke, big surprise, 3 links snapped and hit a guy in the leg and back. He was very lucky.

On a less serious note, **** ya! Can't wait till winter!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.897818,-97.260029
-
-Posted with my iPhone.