What's the Best way to break in a new Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DTF-DEUCHER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, as you all know, I'm headed to El Paso tomorrow to pick up my SCrew! :peace:

It is about 1400 miles back home.

I'm a novice when it comes to this but what would the best way to drive home as far as speed, cruise, start/stop, etc?

I've been told vary the speed, jump on the throttle quite a few times and so forth. They tell me that if I break it in like a kitten, my RAPTOR will always be a ***** (cat). If I beat on it, it will always be a monster...

Thoughts?

I did the exact same thing as you man.... Driving from Oklahoma to El Paso !
For the first 750 i let it shift through gears and drove it easy.... Right when i hit 750 i gunned it from 70 to 100mph.... And from there on every now and then and at every rest stop i stopped at gave it a little through the gears.... I managed to get 17mpg on the highway breaking mine in like that...

If you wanna get crazy on so offroading here let me know !!!

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I jumped in my first Raptor and hauled ass for 600 miles and then went offroad and beat the **** out of it. She loved every minute of it and ran like a champ.

The second Raptor, the dealer went and got it from 300 miles away and then I immediately drove from Florida to Michigan at 80-90mph for 1,100 miles, hooked up a 5,000lb trailer to her and drug it back at 70-80mph for 1,100 miles. She loved every minute of it and ran like a champ.

I don't think it matters what you do anymore. "Break-In Periods" are a thing of the past.

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ditto Swoop! I drove mine like hell in the air or on the ground and scared a few buddies of mine. We are still alive and they are still talking about it.Ha
Off road of course...
20 plus thousand miles and still getting it!

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Manual says don't run a constant speed or tow for the first 1,000 miles. I'd follow that.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i got a lil over 600 on mine now (pathetic i know, hey im in the city, i dont drive far for my needs!) now im gonna start putting it in Off-Road Mode, since i likes to hold the gears till about 4k rpm before shifting, that should do it for a lil bit i think.... no?

Blybly

Reaction score
Engine Break-in Period?

I pick up my new Raptor in the morning and it has 7 miles on it. What is the break-in period on the 6.2L? Should it be babied for the first few hundred miles?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really its not called a break in period.. Very few car manufactures specify a break-in procedure anymore, they just want you to avoid extreme acceleration or extended idling for the first thousand miles or so

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My dealer recommended no cruise control for the first 500 miles and no towing for the first 1,000. That was it.
Not saying dealers always know their stuff, but that was their answer.