Seeking Radio Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking to buy a mobile radio. I'm open to recommendations. Features I want:

*Want preferably Icom unless someone else has another suggestion
*Removable face
*Mic location not on the face

I need to know where y'all have bought your radios and accessories from? Most places I've emailed have not replied... soooo where'd you get yours?

I've been pretty convinced the Icom ID-880H was the correct match for my wants, but this things does a million other things as well. Therefore, I'm not sure those extra features are necessary.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan06

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could talk to Kirk at raptor addict he can literally get you anything you are looking for and can help you make a decision!

OP
OP
Dan06

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah called him and he was awesome, but said PCI needs to carry or be able get whatever I want. That's who he goes through. So, I called them and asked questions (email too). Several days later no reply...

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ahh ok! I know a lot of the PCI guys are down in Baja right now pre running and setting up for the Baja 1000 with most of the big race teams down there they're supporting those teams and all might be why they haven't replied yet but i don't know

OP
OP
Dan06

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^ Oh gotcha. Oughta have that posted on their site or something lol.

---------- Post added at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Decide to give em another call and got ahold of a super helpful guy. Guess "if first you don't succeed try try again".

OP
OP
Dan06

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay so, after taking and debating my options with PCI. I was pretty quickly talked out of 90% of my initial wants (well except an Icom product). Basically they had negative things to say about modifying a radio for frequencies other than what it's designed for. The majority of radios with removable faces are designed for other frequencies or super pricey according to who I talked to. Therefore, I guess I'll go with the Icom F5021. While discussing their products, fellow pointed out PCI's California Ultimate 2 package, which comes with an Intercom. They can be upgraded with Bluetooth or DSP technology. Would you upgrade to either, both, or none, and why?

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

You could try the guys at R&L R&L Electronics

Don't tell them you are using it on business frequencies and if they ask about your license tell them you are studying for the technician exam...... ;)

Thanks I'll give them a shout too. Trying to weigh all options for something I know little about, lol.

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All 3 ham radios I have are moded to tx out of ham bands and have no problems doing it. Yaesu FT-8800, FT-2800, and FT-857D.