AIRRAID Installation on 2011 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright , alright, Ruger you've sold me. Just rolled one off 4wheeledparts... I'll PM you if i run into any install issues, but seems like a no brainer... thx for the write up and pics...

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Howdy, Viper. When you get it, you'll notice that there are two gaskets provided for the purpose of sealing the top edge of the air box against the hood. But they're only for the inboard and front edges. The back and outboard edges don't get sealed because one of the gaskets (I think they call it weatherstrip) is for the Raptor and the other is for other F150 models. Then there's a big warning at the bottom of the instructions that says that it's on you if the filter gets wet.

Well, okay, here's what I did. I used both weatherstrips. I used the specified one where they tell you to use it, and I used the other on the front and outboard edges. I sure don't want the filter getting wet, and I think that weatherstrip on all four edges of the airbox ought to do it. I've written them and asked if they have a filter wrap (other manufacturers call them "prefilters") compatible with the big filter for the Raptor, but they haven't answered. There's one available for the oiled SynthaFlow filter but not one listed on their web site for the non-oiled SynthaMax filter for the Raptor. The two filters are the same size, so why not list it for both? Dunno. I'm going to call them today and ask the question.

I'd previously radiused the edges of the snorkel to enhance airflow as much as I could, but I was still a little concerned about the engine getting enough air at large throttle openings. So, I got a 1.25 inch diameter radiator flex hose from Advance Auto, used the right diameter hole saw to cut a hole in the lower corner, inboard, front of the factory airbox, and shoved the hose into the hole from the front. It takes a little work to jam the hose between the radiator and the headlight housing, but you can do it. The rubber hose makes a decent seal against the edges of the hole in the airbox and friction keeps it in place, but I used a big zip tie to keep it bent downward a bit behind the rubber shield that's between the radiator and headlight housing. That rubber shield also keeps water from being directly driven up the new air hose into the airbox.

So that completes my installation. It's working just fine. AIRAID doesn't make any mpg claims, and that's honest of them. I might be getting a tenth or a little more mpg better with the new setup, but that's not enough to be certain about. The hesitation I used to get at abrupt throttle openings is gone. I get instant performance.

Last edited:

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ruger, wonderful posts with lots and lots of information. Very awesome of you to spend the time to type all that out for others on the site.

I had Livernois Motorsports install my AIRAID, Corsa and tune my truck all at the same time -- so I honestly have looked under my hood at the damn thing maybe twice. I like your idea about the weatherstripping/rubber seal on all 4 edges; that sounds like something I would do. I'll be checking that out today. I have the box and all that, but I don't recall seeing any of the seals in there, hmm... Perhaps they did the same thing? I'll post back and let you know.

As far as your interest below, I believe that you're referring to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Anybody with some first-hand experience with this particular issue? I bet there are few or none. I don't know what an engine failure due to air filtration would look like or how it could be proven.

Yes. If you look in the history books, you will see that the 2003 - 2004 Mustang Mach1's have a "head tick" problem. Mostly the older 2003 models and their, what do they call them, "4-thread-heads" or something. Halfway through 2004 or something like that, they changed to "9-thread-heads" or whatever. The later heads didn't "tick" and the earlier models "ticked".

Way long before the Raptor was even thought of, I was hardcore into my Mach1. I'm still on the Mach1Registry.org and I visit it now and then, but that was my home back in 2006 - 2009 when I was in Florida yet again and the Maach was my baby, like how now the Raptor is my baby.

Anyway, I had the ******* dreaded "head tick" on my 2004. My Mach was built in April of 2004, right around the time (I think) that they were switching over. Perhaps I had the new heads, I don't recall. Anyway, I had a cat-back, a MAC Pro-Chamber mid-pipe, an intake spacer, C&L cold air intake, short throw shifter, etc etc.

They tried to tell me that all my aftermarket modifications (They, being the Ford Dealer), tried to tell me that all my mods caused the heads to overheat or not get proper cooling (which was correct and the cause of the ticking) but it was a common issue with that particular model year Mach1's. In the end with some printing out of Internet web-board info and them digging into the root of the problem and them still giving me a hassle, I called my Dad whom retired from FoMoCo and he called some people and there was a zone rep in Pensacola a few days later talking to the dealer. I mentioned to the rep about the MM Warranty Act and he said that it was a very good case for the battle that I was dealing with. The whole time though, I was out of work, trying to get my damn car fixed and using my other car during the peak summer months when I wanted my damn Mach1!

So, I went across the street to the (then, Lincoln and Mercury) Lincoln Dealer and explained everything to them and they were like, "yeah man, those DOHC 32v have that issue in the Continentals and stuff".

Long story short, I had the work done at a cleaner facility, by techs that actually were careful with my car and I still go there years and years later with the Raptor... and the Mustang.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Swoop, that's an informative story. It really does matter where you do business, and certainly not just on auto repair. There's a small engine outfit in my town that I found after living here 30 years, and damn I won't do business with anybody else on mowers or leaf blowers.

While engaged in a comprehensive (maybe convoluted is the right word) research on the Raptor purchase, I talked with 6 different Ford dealerships in my area. One didn't know what a Raptor was, and three more had never had one on the lot. Those are NOT the places to go to have work done on my Raptor, even though they are geographically closer to my home than the dealer I bought it from. The Raptor mechanic where I made the purchase cut his teeth on high performance piston engine aircraft. That's pretty much totally convincing to me.

Do you guys need a photo of the add-on air hose installation? I can do that if you need it.

I'll make that call to AIRAID this morning, and report back on the filter wrap (AKA, prefilter).

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AIRAID customer service says that they do not yet have a pre-filter for the filters for the Raptor. They told me today on the phone that they're working with their supplier to eventually provide that coverage. Use of the prefilter is compatible with both the SynthaMax (non-oiled) and SynthaFlow (oiled) filters.

That's what AIRAID says. A poster on these forums has told me that he already has a prefilter on his Raptor and gave me the PN for the prefilter - 799-478. If you go to the AIRAID web site and enter that part number in their product search box, it'll tell you that it fits filter number 720-478 (the SynthaFlow oiled filter) which is the filter that comes in kit numer 400-272 for the Raptor. MSRP is $39.99. If you go to www.performance4trucks.com and type in the 799-478 part number, it'll tell you the same thing. Except that the price is $28.99 plus $9.08 shipping. The oiled SynthaFlow filter (PN 720-478) is the exact same size and dimensions as that of the non-oiled SynthaMax filter (PN 721-478), so this prefilter ought to fit either filter. But AIRAID customer service evidently doesn't realize it. They evidently rely heavily on their supplier, and customer service even offered to give me their phone number so I could call them. It's odd, I know.

OK, so like the other helpful poster here, I've ordered the 799-478 prefilter. I will get it in probably a week to ten days and will report back on how well (or poorly) it fits the AIRAID filter for our Raptors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First photo is of new air hose protruding between radiator and headlight housing (rubber shield pulled aside so you can see). Second photo is of new air hose peeking into the airbox.

Not terribly sophisticated looking, but very functional. Yes, that's duct tape. There are vents in the AIRAID airbox extension that allow air in from the engine compartment. I've blocked them with duct tape so that the engine breathes as much as possible through the factory snorkel and the new air hose.

Attachments

• Raptor 007.jpg
    Raptor 007.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Raptor 008.jpg
    Raptor 008.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics... Should be simple to modify... now, just waiting for delivery. if the prefilter fits the oiled but same size version, I can't see why it wouldn't work...

Viper

Viper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Viper, did you get your AIRAID intake yet?

Not yet... Still waiting... I'm tracking the order so I'm guessing it will arrive on Sat here.. At least I hope!!!!!

With all the trees up here in Vermont, there's way too much oxygen... Cant wait to do my part by burning a whole bunch of it up!!:):