Whipple pulley upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor_qatar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering weather i should increase the boost on my whipple charger.
My friend who tuned and dyno'd the car for me says its possible but i have to order new pulleys from whipple.
To be honest i didn't know that you can increase the boost on a supercharger.
What do you guys think?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
How much power are you pulling now and what does the smaller pulley offer in the way of boost/dyno power?

OP
OP
raptor_qatar

raptor_qatar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much power are you pulling now and what does the smaller pulley offer in the way of boost/dyno power?
well I'm not sure to be honest but from the research that I've done the stock pulley is 3.25 inches which translates to 8psi of boost.
I'm currently at 502WHP with the Supercharger, Catback and tune.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
That is quite a bit of power. How much torque, do you know? Honestly, anyone including myself would be speculating based on anecdotal accounts. Your best bet is to contact Livernois Motorsports...those guys have done anything and everything to the 6.2L so I would take their advice as truth.

NiK_0

Reaction score
From my previous experience with supercharging an LX470... increasing boost above 8psi is not worth it. The engine and A/T life is severely shortened.

Even if you invest in an engine rebuilt with stronger bottom end, tranny rebuilt with stronger disks/plates and pressure... the overpowered engine will offset the balance of the truck. Yes, sure, you'll last longer, but will blow up eventually...

My previous car, LX470, lasted 50k km w/16psi pulley. Sure it was lifting its front tyres on take-off, but eventually, exhaust manifolds gave in, A/T went loose, and we blew the engine due to Toyota's F&#^k^ng stupid policy of encrypting its ECU. HATE TOYOTA FOR THAT! LOVE GM and FORD that they implemented ECU retuning from the factory!

The good idea, I believe, is to increase the power to a safe level which should be about 30% below maximum tolerable by the drivetrain.

502 at the wheels is already a lot. But for the heck of it - yeah, try it, let us know the feelings! :)

Biggest

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering weather i should increase the boost on my whipple charger.
My friend who tuned and dyno'd the car for me says its possible but i have to order new pulleys from whipple.
To be honest i didn't know that you can increase the boost on a supercharger.
What do you guys think?

I had a lenghtly conversation with whipple yesterday with regards to pulley sizes.
They ship their 2.9 kits with the 3.5 inch pulley, as explained by whipple, no two vehicles are alike. They claim that they can take two identical raptors or any two vehicles for that matter, put the same SC on and both vehicles can produce different power and different boost.
They offer pulleys that range from 3.75 to 2.75 in size, they small you go the more boost produced, there is no exact science as to how much boost will be gained with each drop in size, although the average is 1 lb per drop in pulley size.
They sell the Raptor kit with the 3.5 pulley as it's the size they feel is best size based on the various studies, tunes, and tested done.
The next two sizes down are 3.375 and 3.250 they can be used with the same belt that they provide, smaller sizes ( 3.125 to 2.75 ) will require a different belt.
They recommend that the initial install be with the stock 3.5, the vehicle tested and boost measured, once your boost is determined you can then opt to change pulley sizes in order to increase / decrease boost.
All of the above pertains to the tune that they sell.
If you have a different tune ( Livernois , JDM, Loonie tune) or other you can follow the same guidlines.

R

Last edited: