Bully Dog Raptor Tuner Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also have a bully dog tuner and I'm not happy. I originally bought it for a 3.5L ecoboost and the throttle sensitivity was way to touchy. It was hard not break traction sometimes. I didn't like the shift points when trying to cruise around (shifted out way to early with the added power). I now have the bd tuner on my raptor (after getting updated to work on the 6.2L). When at three quarter to full throttle, I can hear my valves clattering (ping I think? ). I tried running all the different tunes on various gas from 87 to 93. And still for it. It does it worse on the 93 tune. I think its to much advance in the timing with this tune for 93 octane gas. And I don't want to have use additives to get the octane up. I don't have any other mods done at this time. Thinking about going with a different tuner company.

Damn...what is up with BD? send the BD back and get your money and check out 5 star---------------------------------->

KBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the 5-star tune in my 6.2. The power was instantly better. The mileage was a little worse on the 91 octane setting. I did 16.5 after the tune about 17.2 before. You can even hear the difference in the truck when you start it. The truck is more fun to drive for sure.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10.6...here...i figured I would get in the mid 20s with a tuner...lol

Silnus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a CAI, cat delete, and aftermarket muffler system, along with an economy tune on 87 octane, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pick up an additional 2-3 mpg. Shed a little weight somewhere too. Weight is a HUGE factor in power, MPG, everything. If you are running too cold of a spark plug, that will also hurt your mpg. With that stated, I dont see why doing all of the above and maybe shedding 50-75 pds somewhere, that truck should get 14-15 city 19-21 highway all day long.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a CAI, cat delete, and aftermarket muffler system, along with an economy tune on 87 octane, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to pick up an additional 2-3 mpg. Shed a little weight somewhere too. Weight is a HUGE factor in power, MPG, everything. If you are running too cold of a spark plug, that will also hurt your mpg. With that stated, I dont see why doing all of the above and maybe shedding 50-75 pds somewhere, that truck should get 14-15 city 19-21 highway all day long.

:iranmaybe:

Carson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wild.. mine normally got 13.8-14.2 running 70mph. Added a Roush CAI and the mileage jumped to 15.3 at the same speed.

Adding in exhaust and tuner this evening and will see where it goes after that.

This is on a 2013 Screw.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my 5 star in over the weekend. I've been running the 87 performance tune so far. I do notice an improvement in my overall driving experience.

That said, all of the people that are getting improved has mileage with a tune...is that running a performance tune? In other words should the performance tune yield more fuel efficiency as well?

Also, I've noticed my miles to empty jump up to mid 500+ at full tank now. Prior to a tune, my truck was consistently showing around 390 something to empty at full tank (I was assuming this was due to the avg being 11.4 mpg).

Is that normal for my truck to show that high of a miles to empty while running 87 performance?

Thanks

David

ddd269

Reaction score
I got my 5 star in over the weekend. I've been running the 87 performance tune so far. I do notice an improvement in my overall driving experience.

That said, all of the people that are getting improved has mileage with a tune...is that running a performance tune? In other words should the performance tune yield more fuel efficiency as well?

Also, I've noticed my miles to empty jump up to mid 500+ at full tank now. Prior to a tune, my truck was consistently showing around 390 something to empty at full tank (I was assuming this was due to the avg being 11.4 mpg).

Is that normal for my truck to show that high of a miles to empty while running 87 performance

Thanks

David

Wow!