How To Install F150 Headlight Switch fog / driving lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed some SuperDuty driving / fog lights on my Raptor and was not wanting to use up one of my Upfitter switches, so decided to install a regular F150 headlight switch which would be for a regular F150 with driving lights. I have a 2012 Raptor with automatic headlamps, but think these instructions could help people with other years. The switch I purchased was for a 2012 F150 with automatic headlamps and driving lights. I also had to purchase a pigtail plug for the extra wires for the fog lamps. Ford uses this same pigtail for many areas of the vehicle, and least expensive I could find was eBay. I bought the Motorcraft WPT-934 pigtail.

Wiring Diagram
light%2520switch%2520wiring.jpg
fog%2520light%2520wiring.jpg

I cut off the old headlight pigtail and installed the new one. I did this one wire at a time.
wiring%25201.jpg
wiring%25202.jpg
The wires off to the right are the stock light wires, then I have the fog on the left.
wiring%25203.jpg

Basically how this wiring in the switch works is once the fog light switch is turned on by pulling on the switch, it send a ground signal to the lights. So I installed a relay out next to the Outfitter switch relays. So this ground signal from the headlight switch runs outside to that relay. I pulled the power from that relay also from the feed into the Outfitter switch relays. Then the second wire you see on the headlight switch pigtail is to show when the fog lamps are on, so the output from the new fog light relay runs to the two lights, but also runs back to the headlight switch which turns on the little light on the switch.
headlight%2520switch%2520off.jpg
IMG_4593.jpg

For the bumper I had to cut some of the metal off from the mounting brackets on both sides. I bough some SuperDuty lights and cut the plastic brackets down and made up some metal brackets to mount them.
bumper%2520cut%2520out%2520one.jpg
bumper%2520cut%2520out%2520two.jpg
drive%2520lights.jpg
truck%2520.jpg

I like being able to run these on the street and it seems to light up the road very nicely.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AWESOME mod!!!!

I almost want to do this and just hook that light up to the factory headlights. It drives me nuts that the factory headlight switch isn't illuminated at that white stripe. I can never tell at dawn or dusk if my headlights are on or not. Dark enough I can't see the stripe on the knob, but light enough outside I can't tell if the lights are on or off.

Can you post bigger pics of the wiring diagram, and the part number for the headlight switch?

Also how does the switch pop in and out?

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great job, good write up, here's a question, looks like the new plug has more wires than the one installed, but are the same plug, couldnt we just buy the factory switch and add the wires needed, looks like empty/open spots in the factory installed plug? giving room to exspand.

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would be surprised that our trucks aren't pre wired for fog lights. I had an 04 ram that didn't have fog lights. I got a switch, found the fog light harness sitting behind the front bumper plugged th foggies in, bam. I had fog lights. I would love it if someone found the fog light harness on our trucks hiding somewhere.

OP
OP
SVT_4X4

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised that our trucks aren't pre wired for fog lights. I had an 04 ram that didn't have fog lights. I got a switch, found the fog light harness sitting behind the front bumper plugged th foggies in, bam. I had fog lights. I would love it if someone found the fog light harness on our trucks hiding somewhere.

Nope they are not at all. I know with the older systems they used to do some of that, but this does not have any of the fog light wiring at the switch, or at the main fuse box multi function box which is behind the passenger kick panel.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Great job, good write up, here's a question, looks like the new plug has more wires than the one installed, but are the same plug, couldnt we just buy the factory switch and add the wires needed, looks like empty/open spots in the factory installed plug? giving room to exspand.

Yes you are correct there are empty open slots, but unlike other plugs I am have used in racing like weatherpack, I could not see how to pull the wire and terminal out of these without destroying them and the plug. But if you can figure that out, it would speed up the process.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

AWESOME mod!!!!

I almost want to do this and just hook that light up to the factory headlights. It drives me nuts that the factory headlight switch isn't illuminated at that white stripe. I can never tell at dawn or dusk if my headlights are on or not. Dark enough I can't see the stripe on the knob, but light enough outside I can't tell if the lights are on or off.

Can you post bigger pics of the wiring diagram, and the part number for the headlight switch?

Also how does the switch pop in and out?

PM me your email address and I can email you a PDF of the wiring diagram. Trying to remember on the switch it was 2 months ago when I did this. As I recall you remove that side panel on the side of the dash by the door, and get your hand in there and some clips to push in and the switch just pops out the front.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope they are not at all. I know with the older systems they used to do some of that, but this does not have any of the fog light wiring at the switch, or at the main fuse box multi function box which is behind the passenger kick panel.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Yes you are correct there are empty open slots, but unlike other plugs I am have used in racing like weatherpack, I could not see how to pull the wire and terminal out of these without destroying them and the plug. But if you can figure that out, it would speed up the process.

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

PM me your email address and I can email you a PDF of the wiring diagram. Trying to remember on the switch it was 2 months ago when I did this. As I recall you remove that side panel on the side of the dash by the door, and get your hand in there and some clips to push in and the switch just pops out the front.

harley356(AT)gmail(DOT)com

It'd be great if we could just source the pins, but that can be a PITA if the connector is unknown.

Thanks for this how-to, it's a great idea!

OP
OP
SVT_4X4

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the pinouts the same for both plugs? Minus the additional two.

The pinouts are the same between both switches, just the stock Raptor switch and plug does not have the extra wires for the fog / driving lights.