How To Wire Raptor AUX upfitter switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Yes, again. This time with more pictures and *hopefully* simplest instructions yet.

1. Choose your upfitter switch based on the current draw your lighting device creates. To determine the amperage, divide the wattage of the device by 14.4v. Amps = watts/volts

From the factory the switches are fused as follows (Fuse # in under hood fuse/relay panel):
AUX 1 30A (#18)
AUX 2 30A (#19)
AUX 3 15A (#44)
AUX 4 10A (#28)

2. Remove the dash panel on the passenger side by pulling straight out. It's made easy by grabbing on to the vent hole and giving a gentle pull. Remove the panel and put aside.

DSC00453.jpg

3. Release the glove box by opening it and pulling in the box sides to clear the rubber stops. The glove box will just hang down.

DSC00454.jpg

4. Take a look inside toward the right the glove box opening. You will see 8 dead end wires. Based on which AUX switch you have chosen to use, locate the corresponding wire and strip it (make sure the switch is off of course). The +12v power comes from these wires.

AUX 1 Yellow
AUX 2 Green with Brown tracer
AUX 3 Purple with Green tracer
AUX 4 Brown

DSC00412_zpsd8e7bbca.jpg

5. The other 4 wires you will see - Green, Blue, Purple and Red are the "pass through wires". One end of them is behind the glove box, the other end is under the hood near the firewall on the passenger side. These wires are "passed through" the firewall for your convenience. They do not directly correspond with any switches, they are just there to use. You simply pick one of the wires, connect your corresponding AUX switch wire to it with a crimp connector (or solder, but this can be difficult based on the limited space), and move to under the hood.

DSC00415_zpsa1aa72d8.jpg

6. Under the hood you will see the other ends of those 4 pass through wires - Green, Blue, Purple and Red. Whichever wire you connected your AUX switch wire to is the one that is now energized +12v (when the switch is on) and the wire you should use to run to your device.

From the factory, the pass through wires are taped to a wiring harness. Pull out the one you picked and proceed with your wiring.

*Example: If I want to use AUX 1 to power my 40" LED light bar, I will need to use the Yellow power wire that corresponds to AUX 1. I can connect the Yellow wire to any of the Green, Blue, Purple or Red pass through wires behind the glove box. Let's say I picked to use the Red pass through wire, now I am going to hook the positive wire from my light bar to the Red wire under the hood.

DSC00411_zps2974a568.jpg

7. Once you have run more primary wire from the pass through wire under the hood to your light, you can move on to grounding the light. You can choose any of the factory grounding points that are very conveniently located near the pass through wires. I recommend just using a ring terminal and bolting under the factory ground point.

DSC00446_zps59f1e4d9.jpg

8. With your wiring complete, using some flex conduit and zip ties will clean up your work. Proceed with all connections and securing wiring using good automotive wiring practices to avoid any future issues.

DSC00445_zps3b74f14e.jpg

Squid 3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so much easier to yank em through the side hatch and leave all the contorting to the young kids

Just saying

:sunot:

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question: Why doesn't the wiring from the upfitters just pass thru the firewall, rather than have to connect them to the pass thru wires? Only thing I can think of is, if you want to connect an upfitter to a device INSIDE the vehicle. Not sure what that would be though. Thanks for the write-up. Well done!