Kenwood ham radio install - Pic heavy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I finally got my head unit mounted. I wanted a location that was easy to see and easy to reach.

I ordered this mount from ProClip:
Ford F-150 - 2009-2013 - ProClip Center Mount*-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices
It is a pretty good solution, but for the price point, I was a little disappointed in the fit and finish.

I drilled a hole pattern to match the head unit mount and screwed it all together with the screws from the radio. Then, I drilled a 1/2" hole in the center speaker plate to run the cable through and routed the cable up through the dash using a fish tape.

Here is the hole (the rubber cover conceals it very well and lays pretty flat in that corner):
IMG00279.jpg

Here is the head unit mounted:
IMG00278.jpg

Is the arm pretty stout? Wondering if it will flop around during offroading?

Looks good!

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
i dont want to derail the thread, but there is a company called panavise, they make a lot of vsm (vehicle specific mount) brackets used to hold phone, portable satellite radio, and ipod cradles. judging by the looks of kaisers's screen i dont think there would be an issue mounting to it. just another mounting option.......
I looked at some of the PanaVise stuff. It looks like the quality is better than ProClip, but due to the form factor of the head unit, some of the controls or 12v outlets would have been blocked.
Is the arm pretty stout? Wondering if it will flop around during offroading?

Looks good!
It seems to be pretty rigid. I can push the buttons with only very slight flex in the whole setup.

Hopefully it will get a little off-road testing this weekend!

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure. It will depend on if you can get a coax connector and antenna to work with the mount. I want to think that CBs do not use either the NMO or SO-239 used by hams, but I am not sure. I bet there is something out there.

~ SO-239 is the female of the PL-259 connector ~

Most all HAM radios and all CBs have the SO-239
on the rear :mexsmoke: of the radio . . just waiting for you to
:naughty:insert your PL-259 ~:Big Laugh::hidesbehindsofa:

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great write ! Must you have your ham license before you can purchase the radio? Any info would be great in regards to a link to get our hams/license?

'12 Race Red Raptor SCAB (Loaded to the max!)
SCABS are faster!!
'08 SeaDoo RXP-X Clockin' 80+ GPS

OP
OP
KaiserM715

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write ! Must you have your ham license before you can purchase the radio? Any info would be great in regards to a link to get our hams/license?

Go to this web site:

American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO

You will be able to find organized HAMs that will guide you.

ARRL Headquarters is open from 8 AM to 5 PM Eastern time, Monday through Friday, except holidays. Our address is:

225 Main Street
Newington, CT 06111-1494
USA

Order/Member Service Hotline 1-888-277-5289 (toll-free US only)
Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm Eastern time.

You can call us at (voice) +1 860-594-0200 and (fax) +1 860-594-0259

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To get a ham license, what's to expect on the test? Can I go HAM now and get the license later?

Method NV/37's
Boatec front and Rear fenders
Rigid dually's in fogs
FOR NOW!
usageda3.jpgysazahu6.jpg
se8y8aba.jpg