Airbags warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rapt

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I was in the desert a few days ago and as I was cresting a dune the side airbags deployed... It wasnt a sharp angle or anything but what I think might have triggered the sensor is the sudden shift of the weight of the truck from left to right (going over the dune sideways)...

Like I said there was no excessive tilt but I can see how the computer might have interpreted the maneuver and thrown off the tilt sensor.

Anyways, I just heard back from my dealer and they are saying that its not covered under warranty because the diagnostics showed excessive tilt (which is not true in reality).

What do you guys think, should it be covered under warranty?

ps truck was in 4x4, off road mode was enabled and traction off

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very odd. I've read of guys smashing their skid plate in, seen vids of raptors landing almost completely nose down, etc and never heard of the airbags being deployed from such impacts. I think it's odd that those impacts did not trigger the airbags, and yet yours did? I would definitely try to get it warrantied. I mean, this truck is advertised as an offroad truck with warranty. IMHO though... Ford warranty does not really mean much at all.

OP
OP
Rapt

Rapt

Reaction score
The dealer simply said "airbags are not covered under warranty"
There isnt a scratch on the truck, looks brand new until you open the doors and see the airbags :s

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It was the impact from sideways landing.

Just enough roll and sideways velocity to cause the truck to think it was going to roll. I personally think the roll calibration is off going off OP description of incident. The hard part is proving to Ford it wasn't abuse and calibration issue.

-Greg

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are bull ******** you... That bag should not deploy unless you have triggered the sensors. The trigger needs 2 inputs at the same time to deploy... Simply tilting the vehicle will not deploy the bag... If you hit that hard on the side of the vehicle it could deploy the bags but there will some evidence or damage somewhere to prove it...

Last edited:

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly, hockster.. You need an impact and excessive roll to activate safety canopy..

Very odd. I've read of guys smashing their skid plate in, seen vids of raptors landing almost completely nose down, etc and never heard of the airbags being deployed from such impacts. I think it's odd that those impacts did not trigger the airbags, and yet yours did? I would definitely try to get it warrantied. I mean, this truck is advertised as an offroad truck with warranty. IMHO though... Ford warranty does not really mean much at all.

Front impacts (smashing skid plates) verses hopping sideways two different sensors.

-Greg

OP
OP
Rapt

Rapt

Reaction score
There was no impact what so ever, and no excessive tilting,, I really think its the sudden change of direction from slight left tilt to slight right tilt, maybe the sensor interpreted it as one extreme right side tilt.. The tires never left the ground

The group I was out with didnt know that anything had happened until I opened the doors (tinted), truck automatically then just started flashing hazards and honking. I'll try to get some pics off them tomorrow

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not surprised they denied your warranty claim. I think the only option left for you to do is to hire an independent inspector to try and figure out what to do. I know it's gonna cost you... But it beats the hell out of paying for a new truck. Or even just taking the hit of diminished value when you go and sell the truck. Maybe insurance will cover some of the expenses of an inspector. Good luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rapt

Rapt

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the truck parked out side my house,, I'll try to get some pics from the offroad club that I was out with..

Notice how theres absolutely nothing wrong with the car (other than the airbags)

I emailed Ford's regional office since the dealer was useless, waiting for a reply

Attachments

• 20120922_114740.jpg
    20120922_114740.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 20120922_114749.jpg
    20120922_114749.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20120922_114812.jpg
    20120922_114812.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 74