Upgrading stock OEM trans cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fordfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im thinking buy a second stock cooler and have a Rad shop make one out of the two. I have a guy that does all our Rad work and does very nice work and very reasonable.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Simply adding a second cooler would not be a good idea, the pressure drop would almost double.
Grafting two coolers together would drastically reduce the pressure drop and that is a good thing.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. I can see "adding" a second cooler in series may be too much pressure drop or dp. So what about plumbing it to be in parallel?

What do you mean by "grafting"?

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And another thing!

Deleted

Sorry. Lack of sleep. Just woke up and the first thing that came to mind was this stupid post. This topic is important to me and I don't want to derail it.

Last edited:

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be that Ford with all their desert testing, specific building etc that the tranny temp is o.k. running at 204? I just can't think that these engineers built this truck without thinking.."hmmmm, wonder if 204 is the correct temp".
With all that said, I may be out of my mind!

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be that Ford with all their desert testing, specific building etc that the tranny temp is o.k. running at 204? I just can't think that these engineers built this truck without thinking.."hmmmm, wonder if 204 is the correct temp".
With all that said, I may be out of my mind!

I'm worried about it because I am adding a super charger and almost doubling torque output of the engine. More torque = more heat in the transmission.

195-205 is correct temp for the transmission, but it can be exceeded if you push the truck.

new Mustangs are the same way. Push em hard around a road track for 2-3 hours and they start to overheat. stock cooling system just cant keep up.

I have had no luck in locating a heat exchanger core that will drop into the existing bracket easily. Going to get a Tru-Cool 40,000 BTU cooler off ebay and plumb it in place of the stock cooler with 160* bypass valve. Will just require a little custom bracket made up.