Economy 5 Star -vs- Factory Settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c-ne-elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of you with 5 Star tunes, how does the Economy setting compare with the factory settings for power? Any loss?

I know you would normally switch to performance to go off road but what if you are set on economy and want to do some off roading?

OP
OP
c-ne-elk

c-ne-elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is kind of difficult to ask using the right words. That link is to a comparison of economy to performance tunes. My question was what the performance/power/acceleration is like using the economy tune setting vs the factory settings. I know the tune has better milage was wondering about economy setting power vs factory acceleration.
I will be finding out myself this weekend as my tuner is in and will install this weekend but was wondering what others had experienced.

Last edited:

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no loss in power goin to econo from the factory tune. In fact I think its better. I would switch to performance tho for offroading due to how the transmission shifts. Even in of road mode I think the trans seems to always be in the right gear with the performance more than it does with the econo IMO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree.. Econ tries to get to 6th gear as quickly as possible. 5th gear is around 30mph and 6th around 35-40mph. That is unless you have the pedal to the metal, then it wraps out nicely to redline, then shifts. It is a softer shift than performance,

-Greg

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Diablo Sport - YouTube

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

I have not had time to mess with it becose I'm on hear lol. I like my tuner defanatly wakes it up but I have the headers and aFe CAI deffanatly will skweek the tires in 3rd gear if you tromp it. put it this way yes I'm glad I did it.

Wheela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya I would think the econ really is only benificial for city driving cause it does try to shift sooner, like greg said it drops to 6th around 40mph(where my 91 perf doesnt shift to 6th till almost 55mph) cause even in perf tune just cruising down a backroad or highway I can still get 15-16mpg without even trying

*to wilson* ya with 91perf from 5star I can chirp it in 2nd and 3rd gear, cant say that about any other truck ive owned lol

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
look at it like this if you are in heavy traffic you want eco tune if you live in the country you want perf tune. or you can use the manual and shift down when off roading or use the hold in 3rd gear. these trucks are amazing.

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the power is greatly reduced in the economy tune. What someone needs to come up with is a live tuner where you can instantly switch between the different levels of 5 star tuning like the Banks Power Pack can(on diesel trucks).