Upgrading stock OEM trans cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the F250/350/550 Super Duty uses the same bracket.
F250 SuperDuty trans cooler: Part # 9C3Z-7A095-A

Those trucks have a double pass oil cooler with inlet and outlet on same side of the cooler. The F150 is a single pass cooler half as big with inlet and outlet on opposite sides.

I have a buddy in the parts dept of local Ford dealer that looked it up, he has both in stock, so I am going to go by sometime this week and we can pull them out of the box and compare them.

Some simple custom hose work on the inlet hose side and I think the F250 SuperDuty cooler should work, for about $250

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Might think about a larger by 2qt alum finned pan--use better oil such as Amsoil and see how that works! That is what I did and it works very nicely. Also, you are aware that there is a thermostat that controls the tranny fluid as well so it will never stay at 160 let's say.

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not tried this yet but have done some research cause I had the same idea.

B&M makes a Super cooler, part number 70264, that is 11" x 6" x 1-1/2". They do make larger coolers that would still fit in the stock location but this is the biggest trans specific cooler. B&M trans coolers have a built on bypass for cold fluid that their larger general use coolers do not.

Will require some custom lines but it should be pretty straight forward install.

Donk74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention my idea with the B&M 70264 cooler would require 2 coolers. Tied together to make one long 23" long cooler. Its cobbled but should work???

The other option I found is a Tru Cool heavy duty cooler part number 4739. It has a 45,000 BTU ratting and is 8-1/2" x 22" x 1-1/4". Problem with this option is the factory mount only has about 6" maybe 7" of clearance so the mount would need to be moved down or modified to fit this cooler.

I just can't decide if its worth any of this ******** around or not.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
The plastic bracket holding it in place is designed to take a cooler twice as big. I would think this would improve the stock trans. cooling system without having to drop over a grand on a remote mount cooler, for us guys that dont go out on 8hr desert run sessions, but still want some added cooling.

raptcooler.jpg
I am really liking where this is going... :headbang:

OP
OP
R

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really liking where this is going... :headbang:

Ran into a dead end :whymewhyme:

We sat down and looked through every transmission cooler in the Ford parts system. F250's, E250's and Expeditions across multiple year models.

Nothing matched up. The F250 cooler is much bigger.

Going to start trying to source cooler cores from 3rd party distributors and see if I can find an exact match based on dimensions.

Stand by I haven't given up on this quite yet.

Last edited:

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no real experience with this sort of thing but what about additional fans on the stock cooler for a push/pull effect. I'd imagine it would help a lot while adding little cost.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ran into a dead end :whymewhyme:

We sat down and looked through every transmission cooler in the Ford parts system. F250's, E250's and Expeditions across multiple year models.

Nothing matched up. The F250 cooler is much bigger.

Going to start trying to source cooler cores from 3rd party distributors and see if I can find an exact match based on dimensions.

Stand by I haven't given up on this quite yet.

My father owns a radiator shop, I'm sure he could order / built something. I'll look into that too.

Thanks for brining this up, I was thinking the same thing.

Joe