Fox 3.0 Shock Settings & Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fox 3.0 Shock Settings & Maintenance

Upgrade your Raptor to large FACTORY Series 3.0 Internal Bypass Coil-Over shocks that maximize the entire wheel travel, increases oil capacity, and adds 60% more damping area over the stock FOX SVT shocks.

Adjustments

Compression bypass adjusters
Rebound bypass adjusters
Free bleed bypass adjuster
Nitrogen pressure
Compression valving
Rebound valving
532968_672840949828_983876854_n.jpg

540404_672840974778_904841115_n.jpg

So how many of you out there have the 3.0 Fox rear shocks? How many of you have read the user's manual?

Maintenance:
For non-race vehicles, Fox recommends and overhaul each season. For race vehicles, Fox recommends a rebuild after each race, however as a minimum the oil condition needs to be checked. The oil should be red and not smell burnt.

Have any of you guys overhauled your rear shocks yet? After a run at the TRR should we be rebuilding? Fox can do this service for us, and I know RPG offers it too. I have not rebuilt mine.

Adjustments:
What Nitrogen pressure are you guys running? I believe I'm set at 200 psi. I'm not even sure this can be easily changed?

What bypass tube settings are you set at (valving)?
Long Tube (compression, blue) - factory setting - 3 turns from fully closed
Short Tube (compression, blue) - 1.5 turns from fully closed (increase damping)
Short Tube (Rebound, red) - 4 turns from open

Why did you choose the valving you run and what do you think of the performance.

Looking forward to the discussion.

Joe

Last edited:

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Joe. How you enjoying the ride since you upgraded? Just got mine and am excited about giving them a real workout. Great questions. Definitely want to fine tune 'em for max performance. Geez do these monsters really need an oil change after TRR? Surely not... Just thinking about all those running stock Fox

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Shock pressure can be checked with a shock pressure gauge that places like Offroad warehouse sells. And they can be filled with a small nitrogen bottle and high pressure regulator. They use a schrader valve just like your tires.

Rebuilds on these shocks can be done by a bunch of shops out west but i suggest learning to do it yourself.

People dont factor in the cost and time of rebuilding these things when they buy em. Yes they are cool. Yes they make things better. But there are underlying factors that need to be considered.

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Joe. How you enjoying the ride since you upgraded? Just got mine and am excited about giving them a real workout. Great questions. Definitely want to fine tune 'em for max performance. Geez do these monsters really need an oil change after TRR? Surely not... Just thinking about all those running stock Fox

I love the set up. I only wish I could use them more. Haven't found anywhere to go here in Omaha.

Yeah, also interested in hearing more about the maintenance. Like Trey said allot of people don't realize. I know I didn't, and I have gotten to tell people when the ask me for my opinion on the shocks.

Joe

FOX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
532968_672840949828_983876854_n.jpg

540404_672840974778_904841115_n.jpg

So how many of you out there have the 3.0 Fox rear shocks? How many of you have read the user's manual?

Maintenance:
For non-race vehicles, Fox recommends and overhaul each season. For race vehicles, Fox recommends a rebuild after each race, however as a minimum the oil condition needs to be checked. The oil should be red and not smell burnt.

Have any of you guys overhauled your rear shocks yet? After a run at the TRR should we be rebuilding? Fox can do this service for us, and I know RPG offers it too. I have not rebuilt mine.

Adjustments:
What Nitrogen pressure are you guys running? I believe I'm set at 200 psi. I'm not even sure this can be easily changed?

What bypass tube settings are you set at (valving)?
Long Tube (compression, blue) - factory setting - 3 turns from fully closed
Short Tube (compression, blue) - 1.5 turns from fully closed (increase damping)
Short Tube (Rebound, red) - 4 turns from open

Why did you choose the valving you run and what do you think of the performance.

Looking forward to the discussion.

Joe

The OEM FOX 2.5 Internal Bypass Shocks have been tested for 10 years or 150,000 miles.

If you have upgraded to the FOX Factory Series 3.0 the recommended services intervals are listed below.

FOX Factory Series products are the very best of the best shocks that FOX produces, cost and maintenance schedules are not at the top of the list when developing these products. *Superior performance, adjustability, and longevity of components are the main focuses here. *We utilized the highest quality of materials and our latest collected racing data when developing Factory Series products. **

The FOX Factory Series 3.0 upgrades are full blown race shocks. Offroad race teams typically service their shocks ever 1000 miles of offroad use.

Recommended Service Intervals;

On road: 50,000 miles
On and offroad: 10,000 miles
Offroad: 1,000 miles

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would the 3.0's compare to say as Zero-X from a snowmobile in terms of the rebuild process? Been doing the sleds for year but have never attempted anything on a truck. I would imagine it's the same basic process clamp, release nitrogen, open up, drain, inspect and refill.

OP
OP
Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Spider - I'll let Fox chime in on this one, but from what is in the service manual, those are the basic steps that are required. Looks like there are some o-rings and such that need to be replaced during the rebuild.

Fox - are there basic rebuild kits that we can purchase

So, what are other people running for settings? Stock settings or have you played with them at all?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OEM FOX 2.5 Internal Bypass Shocks have been tested for 10 years or 150,000 miles.

If you have upgraded to the FOX Factory Series 3.0 the recommended services intervals are listed below.

FOX Factory Series products are the very best of the best shocks that FOX produces, cost and maintenance schedules are not at the top of the list when developing these products. *Superior performance, adjustability, and longevity of components are the main focuses here. *We utilized the highest quality of materials and our latest collected racing data when developing Factory Series products. **

The FOX Factory Series 3.0 upgrades are full blown race shocks. Offroad race teams typically service their shocks ever 1000 miles of offroad use.

Recommended Service Intervals;

On road: 50,000 miles
On and offroad: 10,000 miles
Offroad: 1,000 miles

You guys at Fox ever worked with Rick Pease or the Nick(aka...Greek)

Cerberos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shock pressure can be checked with a shock pressure gauge that places like Offroad warehouse sells. And they can be filled with a small nitrogen bottle and high pressure regulator. They use a schrader valve just like your tires. <snip>

Here is my small nitrogen setup along with a couple of examples of shock pressure gages.

NitrogenTank1.jpg

PressureGage1.jpg

RPG63.jpg

FOX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How would the 3.0's compare to say as Zero-X from a snowmobile in terms of the rebuild process? Been doing the sleds for year but have never attempted anything on a truck. I would imagine it's the same basic process clamp, release nitrogen, open up, drain, inspect and refill.

The front Factory Series 3.0 Internal Bypass Coil-Over shocks use a thread-in bearing (where the shaft enters the shock), and will therefore be more difficult to rebuild. If the oil is fully drained it can be especially difficult to get the air out of the shock and set the IFP (internal floating piston) correctly because of the remote reservoir setup.

The rear Factory Series 3.0 Bypass shocks are basic mono-tube shocks with the addition of bypass tubes, and are fairly basic to rebuild, although once again it can be tricky to get all the air out and set the IFP correctly.

It is highly recommended that you have one of our FOX technicians service the shocks. These techs are servicing and rebuilding all of the top offroad race teams shocks on a daily basis, so you know the job was done right.

To find out more about the FOX and the SHOX NEED LOVE TOO service programs check out: FOX SERVICE

Last edited: