o2 sensor warranty issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I took delivery of my 2012 scab. This past weekend I met up with the Outlaw raptor group heading to Vegas and started to realize the potential of the truck. The outlaw raptor crew was awesome and the route they set up kicked ass
On my way back I found a lakebed with some mud and gave the truck a new paint job. The engine light immediately went on and I took the truck in today for service. Service says that the o2 sensor was damaged by mud/water and because it was penetrated by the mud and water, and did not fail, warranty will not cover it.
I'm going to take the truck into my selling dealer tomorrow and I'm going to find someones head to chew off but I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue and what the outcome was.

rsike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think that the fact it was "penetrated" by mud and water was a failure of the unit. Did they indicate how the water got in? Either it was installed incorrectly or had a composite level defect and should be covered.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to explain to how this can happen... Here a new Ford factory HEGO sensor.. The only place for anything to enter is the 2 small holes near the top. You would need a pressure washer directed at it for a period on time to break the seal... I think they are BSing you..
HEGO004.jpg

HEGO003.jpg

HEGO001.jpg

OP
OP
thebiglebowski
Reaction score
They said that when they got to the part it was completely caked in mud (awesome) and that the only way that the part would have malfunctioned is if water had broken the seal. They didn't mention how water made it in but I'll make sure to ask if my selling dealer gives me shit.

I didn't make it in today but I'll definitely be in tomorrow. Thanks for the info and picture. It helps to know what they're talking about.

FAMARO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest prior to taking it to any dealer for any warranty work, clean up your truck. Top to the bottom.

E63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The O2 sensor failure seems to be a recurring problem. I have had my truck in several times now. My light also came on at Day in Dirt, they replaced the PMC, then not a day later it comes on again, O2 sensor. They already replaced once under warranty, now they are thinking it is some sort of EM interference, at least they are escalating this as a "Hot" issue thru their tech support.

Seems just about every time I go out I have some sort of engine light issue.

Besides washing your truck underneath, it would be a good idea to remove any custom tune, when they replaced the engine control mod it locked out my SCT tuner.