Service engine light at 150 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
V

vcxzbnm

Reaction score
Randy is the man.

Thanks Randy,

I appreciate the help.

Wouldn't the pressure washing on the underside wash off the rust and then allow it to rerust unless I somehow dried everything off? A large I'm not a metallurgist and not really someone who deals with rust. Is all that surface rusting really ok to have on the underside? Never owned a truck before and my previous vehicles have only a few surfaces with rust on them. I plan on driving this thing for 10 years as I really like this truck.

I meant no offense to the UAW crowd as they did put my truck together which is something I am thankful for, but it would have been nice to not worry about anything.

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Randy,

I appreciate the help.

Wouldn't the pressure washing on the underside wash off the rust and then allow it to rerust unless I somehow dried everything off? A large I'm not a metallurgist and not really someone who deals with rust. Is all that surface rusting really ok to have on the underside? Never owned a truck before and my previous vehicles have only a few surfaces with rust on them. I plan on driving this thing for 10 years as I really like this truck.

I meant no offense to the UAW crowd as they did put my truck together which is something I am thankful for, but it would have been nice to not worry about anything.

The purpose of pressure washing, is to remove salt and crud before under coating, not so much to remove surface rust. The drive shaft, break rotors, suspension parts when New, will show surface rust pretty bad. Walk onto most dealer lots, and look under the trucks. As you put miles on yuor truck, road grime, brake dust etc will help coat your bare metal parts. That surface rust will come right off with a little steel wool, scotch brite or emery cloth.

randy

trolls56

FRF Addict
Reaction score
vcxzbnm you said you are a union man what union do you belong to? I am part of the BLET brotherhood locomotive engineers and trainman. We are apart of the Teamsters.

Raptor62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about that surface rust too much. If you are worried about it, then you should use some scotchbrite to remove it, then prime and paint it. Build up of dirt will hold moisture and accelerate the rusting. what many people have done is to Linex the wheel wells when they get the truck.

As for the CEL, let us know what the problem was. It can be anything so it wouldn't be fair to just guess as to what caused it.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vcxzbnm, CEL lamps can mean a number of things and are not always critical. I certainly sympathize with anyone who has purchased a new vehicle and immediately has a warning lamp of some sort surface. It gives the general public a feeling of dissatisfaction and lack of confidence in the product. One thing I have learned is that when a warning lamp surfaces this early, it is likely due to a poor electrical connection such as a connector not fully seated and/or a faulty sensor that is providing "trashy" information. If the truck is running fine, I am sure it is not detrimental. As Harley said, please give your dealer a chance before giving up on your purchase. This truck is an amazingly fun ride and will last you a long time. With good maintenance, I am sure you will surpass your 10 yr expectation. Thanks for your comments and concerns.

FSM

OP
OP
V

vcxzbnm

Reaction score
fuel door is shut, and haven't filled up yet. Still on the first tank of fuel. Light came on at a stoplight. I'm taking it in Friday. Will let everybody know what happens.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free