Spare Tire Mount for Pickup Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrGreen33

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi All,

:birgits_tiredcoffee Wanted to find a way to securely strap the spare tire to the inside of the bed. I want to get a bed cage, but that is not possible at this moment...

Below is a link to a product I found surfin the net, and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with a this product or a similar one. . .specifically if it serves its purpose while off the paved highway. . .Thanks :peace:

Spare Tire Mount | PTSTM | Free Shipping!

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No personal experience, but it looks like its pretty weak for your needs. I would consider some mounts that could be bolted to your bed bolts. Then strap the tire to that.

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
I have to also agree, nice idea for a street truck with a smaller tire. You don't want a 35" tire getting loose in the dirt and especially you don't want a 35" tire comming off in an on the road situation, could kill someone.

Banned
Reaction score
There's a few things, there's ones that bolt under the bed, an come through a hole you make, tire sits on there and a v but thing spins on. It's lockable etc.

And 100% removable so if you need all the space I bed, you can have it.

Can't remember who makes it though.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This might be an over simplification.. But why not mount these using the bed bolts?

View attachment 8836

And ratchet straps to hold the tire?

-Greg
I wonder how well those would hold up. You'd need 4, so that will help spread the load, but you're going to have a lot of strap in the air, between the loop and the tire edge. The kind of off roading we typically do out here has as much side to side throwing around as it has up and down. I'd be concerned that I'd never get the straps tight enough to hold the tire down strongly enough so that it doesn't end up moving side to side, and work its way out from under the straps.

I know you said a rack isn't on the radar yet, but ask a couple of our vendors anyway. If you can't go the full route, I'd bet they can cost effectively build you a simple bar that mounts between two of the bed bolts, with a center post sticking up for ******** a big tire wing nut down to.

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 4 bed bolts in my bed. Got them at northern tool. Two straps in an X. Tested at Texas Raptor Run. Did not budge. No damage to bed with line x. Eyelets screw out when not in use. Next test is to stack 2 tires. Will test this at a dirt track in about 3 weeks. Can post some pics of my bed tonight. It is still set up as if I was going to have fun rather than driving on I-10.

Here are my bed bolts. I drilled the holes as close to the frame as I could. For two tires, if the bed metal is stressed, I may buy bigger washers to try to spread the load a little more. I would love to have a cool bed rack, but my checkbook prefers suspension mods and I have zero welding skills (see JTRATX bed), but this worked great. I actually have a total of 6 bed bolts to help tie down cooler, tool boxes, etc.

Attachments

• bedbolts.jpg
    bedbolts.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 728
Last edited: