Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Believe I am at 7k right now. Did 65 to 70 the whole 230 miles averaged 7.4 mpg, and tranny temp only got as high as 208 degrees on a long uphill segment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cage1993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed a 30' travel trailer from TX to WY and back with the 5.4 I just traded in. Even that engine has plenty of power to pull the 8K rig, much less the 6.2. The issue is the weight of the truck and the brakes. Both my 5.4 and the 6.2 I got are Scabs, so they really lack the weight to deal with the crosswinds you catch from TX > OK > KS > CO > WY. The wind catches the trailer and pulls the rear end of the truck side to side. Easy to correct if your used to it, but it does get annoying. Brakes aren't great on these trucks anyway, so if you have much weight at all be sure the trailer has brakes. Back end will also sag under very little weight without a weight distribution system.

colecoin

Reaction score
I towed a 25' Hallmark enclosed trailer last night about 100 miles. It was extreamly windy and the trailer was causing the truck to sway really bad. I ordered air bags for it today and will install on wednesday. I will then be towing 800 miles round trip. Truck has plenty of power. Miles per gallon 8.3 @ 73mph

Phyguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I towed another Raptor (unfortunately), but it was interesting hitting the hills on the ranch pulling Jarrett's truck. Other than that I just pull my jet skis to the lake and back.

nsv8w.jpg

35jcggn.jpg

Doesn't answer the OP's question probably.

cage1993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed a 25' Hallmark enclosed trailer last night about 100 miles. It was extreamly windy and the trailer was causing the truck to sway really bad. I ordered air bags for it today and will install on wednesday. I will then be towing 800 miles round trip. Truck has plenty of power. Miles per gallon 8.3 @ 73mph

if you use the truck for offraoding I would not recommend airbags. I put many, many sets of both Firestone Ride Rites and Air Lifts. For on the road they are great, but I had many that were used on ranch trucks that ended up getting busted. Even though these trucks weren't "actively" offroading, just going normal speed on rough ranch roads threw the geometry of the system off and ended up puncturing bags. We replaced several under warranty, but it finally became such a headache, that the manufacturers stopped warrantying them. If you don't offroad, then by alll means they are great. I have a Roadmaster Active Suspension system, just put it on Friday, and need to dial it in. They are heavy duty, adjustable, and the same price as bags (unless you get the built in compressor on the airbags which is nearly double). I had these on a previous F-150 and swear by them. I also sold many of these back in the day, and never had an issue. They help with wheel hop and axle wrap, and I am thinking when I get it dialed in correctly, that it will lessen the likelyhood of frame damage from bottoming out. The application for Raptors is not listed so you can't order thru a regular retailer very easily, but you can call them and order it direct.

**edit** they are adjustable, although you do have to get under the truck and wrench on it a bit

Last edited:

colecoin

Reaction score
My truck is used mostly for road use. I am going to take my chances with the air bags. The stock tow set up doesn't work for me. I either spend a few bucks to try and better the trucks ability to tow or sell and buy a better truck to tow with. My truck will never be jumped in Chicago or anywhere I drive so I think it will be ok. I will keep you posted

cage1993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
understandable, everyone uses their trucks differently, just wanted to pass on my past experience - airbags are a dream to tow with though, if I didn't have to use my truck offroad so much I would probably go the same route

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free