4.56 Gears?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
This is the first I have heard that the diff gears for 2011s are different than the 2010s. If I recall correctly, the spline count for front and rear axles is the same and I seriously doubt they would change the carriers.

Would you mind posting the difference you found between 2010 and 2011?

Randy's Ring and Pinion is a good source for gears and info.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are able to upgrade to 4:56 gears, what would you expect the material costs to be?
Installation cost?

At some time I'd like to go with some 37's and could benefit with a lower gear to make up for the taller tire. But cost is a factor.

SDHQJASON

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Axle spline counts and differentials housing were the same between 2010 and 2011 so the gears will all transfer; however, the pinion bearing is what is different between the two. We are also waiting for them to upgrade the install kits.

OP
OP
Lance Vincent

Lance Vincent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is some of the replys from the other raptor site i got some time ago.

Wasn't quite sure where to put this. Thought it needed to be put out there. You cannot change the Ring and Pinion on a 2011 Raptor as Ford changed some of the internals of the rearend and the R&P sets do not fit. The good news is, the stuff in there is higher quality than before and shold hold up better

Bad news is, nobody makes stuff for the new rearend yet, in fact Rany's ring and Pinion had no idea of the change. I am putting on 37s on 18s and can't re gear to 4.56 like I wanted. Guess i will have to wait

Just a heads up to any '11 owners thinking of changing gears

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Listen, who ever said anything about a dealer. I am putting this out there for anyone who doesn't want to bother with sending back gears that don't work. You can put the ring on, but the pinion splines do not fit with the 2011 and the bearings are Koyo, much larger and more heavy duty than the old stuff. What is it about the internet that makes everyone know everything.

If you don't believe me, ask SDHQ, that's where the gears are going back to.

When I said Ford told me, I meant DEARBORN!

Jeez, just trying to save another Raptor owner time and money if they are looking to do a swap.

By the way, what type of idiot takes a Ring and Pinion set in to the dealer? They are good for one thing, selling me the truck.

Thanks for reply Jason

So the gears will work ? Not the pinion bearing?

So the pinion bearing is the hold up at this time?

Thanks again

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 AM ----------

So you guys (sdhq) should have a master kit soon?

SDHQJASON

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went back to verify that my previous post was correct about the bearing being different. They said it was but so was the rest of the pinion assembly. We looked at just swapping it out with a 2010 pinion set-up and it was more trouble than it was worth. IMO, you would be better off swapping out the whole differential with a guy with 2010 raptor that has no intention of re-gearing.