RPG Stage 2 kit installed **PICS**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
whisler151

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alright, I swapped out the cap you provided for stock springs. Does this look like the right amount of gap?

IMG_3313.jpg

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can't help ya with the gap, but don't forget to push that o-ring all the way up, and check on it after a good hard hit. Its fun to see how much of the stop you're actually using :)

mictouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little explanation for the Bump Stop Kits.

A little explanation for the Bump Stop Kits.

The Raptor comes with a Fixed Bump Stop and all fixed bump stops are designed to be short and come into effect late in the final distance of suspension travel. As such, they have a drastically increasing compression rate. That is to say that they stop the suspension movement very quickly and typically in a harsh manner. So, removing the factory "Fixed Bump Stop" and installing an aftermarket "Hydraulic Bump Stop" for your Raptor is a great idea.

The main purpose of a hydraulic bump stop is to serve as some final suspension cushion to keep the metal parts from coming together or from the suspension traveling too far, which might in some way damage the suspension or chassis. If the suspension bottoms too violently, something is bound to break sooner or later. That is why the hydraulic bump stop kit is used in the final bit of travel in a suspension. It behaves much like a variable (or rising rate) spring. This allows a vehicle to use a softer spring rate than would normally be needed if there were no bump-stop control. Using a bump stop allows the suspension to soak up large bumps while still allowing use of that soft spring for normal suspension travel conditions.

There are several types of bump stop kits available for the Raptor. See Below:
Fox 2.0 supplied by Outlaw Raptor
Fox 2.5 supplied by RPG (Raptor Performance Group)
King 2.0 supplied by Addictive Desert Designs
Light Racing supplied by SDHQ (Super Duty Headquarters)

All these listed above are all hydraulic bump stops and yes they have a desired amount of nitrogen called out by the manufacture for the amount of valving inside. Yes, they all have compression and rebound valving inside them and yes they work pretty much the same as your nitrogen filled shocks. The nitrogen is to return the shaft at the rate needed to keep up with the rebound valving inside the bump stop.

Now, what nitrogen pressure should you run? Ideally what the manufacture calls out for. But, since the Raptor has very limited suspension travel the axle come in contact with the bump stop very easy, especially if you have an extra load your hauling around town you might want to lower it a bit like BIGJ suggested. The reason is that with high nitrogen pressure you feel engagement of the bump stop. By lowering the nitrogen you will not feel it hit as hard and YES you still have the same protection for that big impact because you haven't changed the valving inside. But, if you lower it and run a bunch of small bumps or big bumps the bump stop may not return to fully extended in time for the next impact. Thus losing some of your added bump travel protection.

So, you know the Light Racing Bump Stop is the only one that has external adjustments for compression and rebound. The FOX and Kings Bump Stops are fixed valving and that works just fine for what we need with the Raptor Suspension.

I hope this helps!

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whistler151, now that you've seen the installation do you think that you could have done it yourself? Was it necessary to drill holes in the frame, or was it a straight bolt-on? What brand are they, Fox?

OP
OP
whisler151

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whistler151, now that you've seen the installation do you think that you could have done it yourself? Was it necessary to drill holes in the frame, or was it a straight bolt-on? What brand are they, Fox?

If I had a garage and tools...absolutely. There is no drilling, no taking off the bed and no taking off the spare tire. Its 100% bolt on. However, for $250 I couldn't pass on having a very reputable shop do the install.

The bump stops are Fox 2.5.

2.5 Bump Stop Bump Stop Shock | FOX Offroad

OP
OP
whisler151

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So why did you do this mod? (just curious)

For the 0.01% and cause I like the way it looks. Same reason I did the lights on the front. I'm in sales, so in reality the Raptor is not ideal for driving 2000 miles a month...but again...I liked the truck so I bought it. The next step is to continue the mods.

Last edited:

Scuatchman22

Reaction score
what are some ups and downs about getting a bump stop :ROFLJest: lol but really. Im looking to invest in one and im wondering which one is preferred by you guys. Thanks!