Outlaw hood mounts and HIDX lights from Alternative Off Road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll spare you the step by step for this mod, because it's already been done... so, Big props to BigJ for doing the heavy write-up HERE. However, my one suggestion to add to BigJ's walk through, is to loosen or remove the hood struts prior to fully tightening down the mounts. Doing so will allow you to realign the hood with minimal effort, believe me, it makes it a helluva lot easier.

Other than that, its a pretty straightforward install and Outlaw has provided us Raptor owners, with an awesome product!

I ordered my 4" 35w HIDX lights from James at Alternative Off Road. Great group over there, definately top notch service!! :waytogo:
For example: When I realized the lights didn't come with a black cover to be California on-road compliant, James reloaded a Paypal transaction for my approval, then sent me a set of black covers, which arrived at my door within a couple days! I didn't have to go through any lengthy ordering process... I just had to click "okay". Now that's customer service!

Here are some pics of said black covers... with some nice bug splats on 'em from a recent trip. Because of the Tuxedo Black, they're actually barely noticeable from a distance... I doubt that same look would carry for other colors.
IMG_0300.jpgIMG_0301.jpgIMG_0303.jpg

The 4" HIDX lights are identical to the Kragen/Oreilly, and Hella Optilux lights. Made in China. But they appear to be sturdy enough, especially for the money. You get a wiring kit capable of wiring a set of 2 lights together, with each light. Most of which was unused because of the Raptor's upfitter wiring. My only modification to the wiring that came with the lights, was to splice on extra wire for the ground, so it would reach the grounding point on the passenger side of the engine bay.

My only gripe with these lights, are the way they're adjusted for aiming. Unlike other companies that utilize dual tightening screws on either side, allowing for infinite angles, which are separate from the mounting bolts. These use the single bolt and a set of teeth, for both mounting and angle adjustment. Those teeth are what presented the problem for me. For whatever reason, the passenger side Outlaw mount was just a tad higher in the back than the drivers side. This meant that the limited zones of adjustment by the teeth, put the light either too high, or too low.

After pissing off the neighbors down the street by the constant up and down motion of the light into their windows, we decided to compensate by shimming the front of the lights mounting block, with a piece of zip-tie... worked out perfectly actually.

Here are the clear covers, and a look at the clearances. Plenty of room for larger lights, but I like the low visual impairment of these 4 inchers.
IMG_0305.jpgIMG_0307.jpgIMG_0308.jpg

The light that comes outta these is incredible!! Here's a light output comparison inside my garage.

What you see here, is EXACTLY the amount of light I saw with my eyes. I messed with my camera, and it took about 10 pics of each to get it just right. So what you see here, is what you'd see with your own eyes, if you were 5 feet from a wall in the front seat.
Parking lights:
IMG_0315.jpg
Stock headlights w/stock bulbs:
IMG_0316.jpg
Alternative Off Road HIDX lights:
IMG_0320.jpg
Notice how the clear covers have that wraparound light in their tabs... I kinda like that!

I'll try and get some better pics in the next day or two.. some overall outside shots, and some long range light shots.

:peace:Big thanks to Outlaw Raptor and Alternative Off Road... you guys rock!! :peace:

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks puddle, I had not made my light choice yet for the Outlaw Raptor brackets but it looks like you helped me out. Thanks....

OP
OP
puddle hunter

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks puddle, I had not made my light choice yet for the Outlaw Raptor brackets but it looks like you helped me out. Thanks....
You can't go wrong for the money!!

Awesome, looks great!
Can't wait to see the difference between these and those 6" M&R LED's. I know you'll blow me outta the water with that 20" though! What are you going to do with the license plate?

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I had 4 of the 7" lights on my bumper then I put this setup on and couldn't believe how much better the 4"s work. Mounting them high really helps throw the light down the road.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very nice! Damn if I didn't already have those LF's I'd be all over these lights. They look great!

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks good dude! You guys getting any wind noise with this setup?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not I. Not even a little bit. And visually I've gotten used to mine now; unless they're turned on I barely notice they're there anymore.

Hmm, this maybe my next mod... You guys make my wallet hurt lol