Tuff Jug gas cans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tuff Jugs... anybody use 'em? Does the ripper cap, or even the tank adapter, work with our "special" filler necks, or do you still have to use the silly stock funnel?

I'd like to get one or two for my upcoming Death Valley camping trip, but only if they're really as good as they sound. Ponying up the $50 per jug, needs to be justified!

0000-Tuff-Jug-5-Gallon-Gas-Jug-Red.jpg

tuff-jug_1030-0042.gif

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup. I've used them quite a bit. A few things:

-go to your local motorcycle/atv shop and get the opaque white ones (I got mine from a local Cycle Gear). Much cheaper, and you can visually see how much fuel you've got in there.

-no, those filler necks will not work. Instead, go with the cap that comes with the clear opaque jugs and a larger funnel.

-with those standard caps on, the Tuff Jug will just barely clear under my FoldACover; no matter what you do they will not fit under a BakFlip (if stood upright).

-as for that funnel I mentioned, get yourself a cheap plastic one from the hardware store, and cut a vee shaped slit in it. Then when you shove it in the filler neck, it will fold in on itself and automatically adjust to the right size. Or just use it as it comes in conjunction with stock one.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Here are a few pics of various stuff

b1.jpg

1-1.jpg

2.jpg

Here's a shot of the 'lock' in the neck. Your funnel will need to press both of these as it slides in, to unlock that metal door. You'll probably need to play with your cuts a bit to get it just right. Or like I said just use the OEM one to unlock the door, and then shove the bigg'un inside the stocker and fill from there.

42f3d7f0.jpg

Last edited:

whisler151

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Hey J,

Are there any issues with having fuel in a plastic container sitting on a carpeted bed? Specifically friction leading to a static charge?

I have the same bed liner and was worried about driving to the TX Raptor Run with loaded fuel jugs.

Thanks

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so glad I don't have to use those stupid cans in the rest of the US. Such a pain in the ass.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey J,

Are there any issues with having fuel in a plastic container sitting on a carpeted bed? Specifically friction leading to a static charge?

I have the same bed liner and was worried about driving to the TX Raptor Run with loaded fuel jugs.

Thanks
Good question. I checked into this pretty extensively when considering how to carry fuel. I came away with the following:

-static electricity is a fact of life of any non rubberized bed liner. This includes BedRugs, plastic drop in liners, and even LineX'd beds (contrary to popular belief).

-in order for gas to ignite, it must be atomized. In liquid state, it won't take a spark.

-fuel is atomized as you pump it.

So what's all that mean? You WILL generate static electricity when you rub those plastic jugs along the bottom of your BedRug. However, when that jug is capped and the outside is dry, there's nothing for the sparks to ignite. The electricity is not going to jump thru the plastic, travel thru the liquid gas from the bottom and ignite the atomized gas in the air gap up top. Its just not strong enough.

BUT! If you open that can, and you fill it inside the bed, and those fumes pour out and down toward the static charged BedRug, there's a chance those fumes will ignite, and will travel back up toward the pump's nozzle... its a slim chance (I think there are 25 people on record ever of getting hurt via this?) but it can happen.

So here's what I do: I travel with the cans like you see. When it comes time to use them, I remove them from the bed and put them on the ground BEFORE opening. I then touch a fender or bedrail or something else metal and ground myself at the same time grab the can. Now there's no charge on the can, and no charge on me. I then pull the cap and fill the tank.

When it comes time to refill, again I pull the can out of the bed and put it on the ground. I touch the pump sheetmetal as I also touch the can, pause for a second then pull the cap and fill 'er up. I never, ever fill any gas can in the bed of any truck!

I suppose if you wanted to be incredibly cautious, you could put a rubber mat down between your cans and BedRug to stop any the rubbing, but I still wouldn't ever open one without going thru the process described above.

Hope that helps. You have to make up your own mind, but IMHO as long as I stay careful as described, I won't ever have any problems. YMMV.

Last edited:

Banned
Reaction score
definately get the white one lol. thats all i got to say on the subject.

I hate jugs where you cant see how full they are.
so much lost fuel over the years.....

OP
OP
puddle hunter

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As always, thanks BigJ for the excellent review. :waytogo:

Kind of a bummer the Ripper cap or adapter wont work with our tanks, those were the key selling points for me. If the price works out right, I'll look into those opaque jugs... if not, its the Harbor Freight version for me!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No problem!

One thing... if you buy a "gas can" in California its got to be CARB approved. Meaning its got a bunch of garbage on it and hoops you need to jump thru just to use it, all designed to supposedly prevent fumes from escaping. In reality, what ends up happening is all that extra spring loaded plastic crap leaks almost always not only dumping 4x the fumes but also wasting gas and stinkin up your bed in the process. Been there, done that.

The beauty of those opaque Tuff Jugs? They're general purpose ATV/Dirtbike "utility" cans, meant for off road use only. They don't have to conform to the CARB requirement... you know... because they're "utility" cans.

In other words, they're legally purchasable gas cans that aint supposed to be used as gas cans. Follow?

That is VERY worth the added cost...

Last edited: