Roush Cold Air Intake for 6.2L - Awsome upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah not quite buying that sort of a real world mpg increase, especially if it's just based off the computer readout and not hard numbers crunched hand calcs.

We've put a few roush pieces on my fiance's 2011 5.0 though and I've been really impressed with their quality.

Do you need a tune to run this intake on the 6.2? I know with the mustangs most intakes increase the diameter of the tube so a tune is necessary anytime an intake is added.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah not quite buying that sort of a real world mpg increase, especially if it's just based off the computer readout and not hard numbers crunched hand calcs.

We've put a few roush pieces on my fiance's 2011 5.0 though and I've been really impressed with their quality.

Do you need a tune to run this intake on the 6.2? I know with the mustangs most intakes increase the diameter of the tube so a tune is necessary anytime an intake is added.

If you want the most from it you should tune it... Its not like these things add massive amounts of air flow... All they do is look pretty and give you a nice filter... We have tested these things over and over and 99% of them draw underhood air and with computer controled timing, the system sees high ambient air and reduces timing to make up for it to reduce knock when it does what else gets reduced... HP... If you want one of these things to really work for you you must not draw underhood air...

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yep same story from the L/HD world, except even worse in those with the supercharger, they become a dog in hot weather with a hot air intake, yet very few companies made ones with enclosed boxes and ram air that actually did work year round.

I don't plan on putting a tune on my Raptor till it's out of warranty. I know it'd help more with the tune, but if it still helps some without I wouldn't be opposed to an intake up front, but I'm not doing a tune till at least 3 years out.

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want the most from it you should tune it... Its not like these things add massive amounts of air flow... All they do is look pretty and give you a nice filter... We have tested these things over and over and 99% of them draw underhood air and with computer controled timing, the system sees high ambient air and reduces timing to make up for it to reduce knock when it does what else gets reduced... HP... If you want one of these things to really work for you you must not draw underhood air...

Maybe a naca duct ala 280ZX would do the trick

Attachments

• images-2.jpeg
    images-2.jpeg
    6.3 KB · Views: 256

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have now gained 2-3 MPG on city and highway driving.

This is exceptionally unlikely. First, the displacement of the engine hasn't changed. Second, the optimum stoichiometric air/fuel mixture hasn't changed. Third, the fuel hasn't changed. Fourth, the weight of the vehicle hasn't changed. Fifth, the aerodynamics of the vehicle hasn't changed. Sixth, the same mpg increase for city vs. highway driving is completely specious. Sixth, any number of other CAI systsms (AIRAID, K&N, Volant, etc. do not produce such gains, and the Roush system is not significantly different.

If indeed this mpg increase is real, which I sincerely doubt, it's due to a change in driving habits. More than likely the Roush system is louder than stock (as is my AIRAID system), and due to the additional intake noise the driver is going lighter on the throttle. That'll go away (as it did with my AIRAID system) as the driver gets accustomed to the additional intake noise.

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ Just like when people think a car is "fast" when they hear the exhaust; lol. Meanwhile my sewing machine just came smoking by them...