Clunk/Thumping noise on startup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice this...when I start my Raptor (mostly when it's already warmed up), I sometimes get a "Thump or Clunking" noise right when the engine catches and starts. doesn't sound terminal or anything, but have noticed it on several occasions now.

Did a search and nothing came up, anyone else notice this?

PS It happens so quickly, right at startup, it's hard to get a handle on what it could be. Doesn't sound like an exhaust noise...

cao0215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first 5 mins, will hear roughly 5 metal clunk, being told it's normal.

2018RubyRed

Reaction score
Same here. Never does it cold, only hot. Real quick bang and that's it. Mines an 18 with about 5k on it

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get that too. Always thought it was the AC compressor clutch engaging. I could be wrong though.

OP
OP
HotLap

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, always good to hear it's likely normal and others have heard it as well. I agree it doesn't sound terminal or anything. Mine's not likely the AC compressor as I generally don't run the air, almost always just have the windows down. I'll keep an "ear" on it and post back should anything change. Thanks!!

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys, always good to hear it's likely normal and others have heard it as well. I agree it doesn't sound terminal or anything. Mine's not likely the AC compressor as I generally don't run the air, almost always just have the windows down. I'll keep an "ear" on it and post back should anything change. Thanks!!

These trucks are uniquely noisy, but in a lot of cases it doesn't seem to be anything that causes problems. I've had this ticking noise since 11k, and can't locate the source. It has not caused any problems, so I've mostly forgotten about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rTI77WZ5js

gobie18

Reaction score
It's normal, it's caused by slack in the drive shaft when starting the truck warm. My 2018 do this from day one and I did some extensive research. Very common in the regular F150. If you search cluck noise when starting warm F150 in google you will find very clear explanation as to why there is slack in the drive shaft. I was so worried when I first got my truck I spent two days reading this stuff. Funny there is not much in the raptor forum on this, just in the F150 forums. Hope this helps.

2018RubyRed

Reaction score
Now that you mention the driveshaft slack it does make sense. Happens when I'm on the hill, set the parking brake in neutral to let it catch the drums and then put it in park.

OP
OP
HotLap

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's normal, it's caused by slack in the drive shaft when starting the truck warm. My 2018 do this from day one and I did some extensive research. Very common in the regular F150. If you search cluck noise when starting warm F150 in google you will find very clear explanation as to why there is slack in the drive shaft. I was so worried when I first got my truck I spent two days reading this stuff. Funny there is not much in the raptor forum on this, just in the F150 forums. Hope this helps.

Sounds plausible, and now that I've been listening for it at warm start up it does sound like it's coming from the transmission output shaft/front driveshaft area. All of my F-150's over the years have had minor drive line "clunk" but the Raptor's is definitely louder. In the past the dealer would grease the splines in the tranny output shaft and the noise would go away for a while...just "life with Raptor" ;) thx!

The GT350 makes several noises when you first hit the start button as well. If you have the clutch depressed and start it right away it starts in "Beast Mode" and your neighbors really like you for that, but if you turn on the car w/o depressing the clutch and let it cycle for several seconds (you can hear the exhaust valves opening/closing) then start it - it will start in quiet mode...but who wants that!!

Last edited: