GEN 2 Looking to buy...maybe, help me decide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker here whose considered a Raptor for years. I've been hesitant on pulling the trigger for a few reasons that i'll get into below. I currently have a 2017 CTSV that i turn in from lease next year. It's been a fantastic vehicle and will be tough to part with. I also road race a BMW with a NASA and WRL. That means I have to rent an F250 @ $500 per week when i need it, ugh.

My reasons for not grabbing one is mainly due to the fact that they can't tow my trailer, car and tools like a normal F150. We also use my car as the family car, the V fits that bill nicely. However, my wife recently rode in a co-workers Gen1 Raptor and loved it, so that's key to me getting what i want. She drives an FJ and loves it but also wants a Bronco, that throws a wrench in my plan. If the Bronco turns out to be 4 door only then i'll have no issue with the Raptor. However, if they have a 2 door Bronco then I see a fight brewing.

So....would anyone suggest adding airbags to the Raptor and bigger brakes to tow my 10k loaded trailer?

Bonus - she likes the Gen 4/5 Broncos so if that could save me from getting a new one....when.if they ever release the damn thing.

lnferno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor SCREW is only rated to tow 8000 lbs and that’s with a WD hitch

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Airbags are not a good choice for a Raptor. There are many towing options, but none of them are recommended to exceed the SCREW rated capacity of 8K.

Buy an F150 Lariat Sport or Platinum for a lot less money or get an F250 diesel if you really want to tow 10K with ease.

Last edited:

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need to tow 10K regularly the Raptor is not for you.

Ford Bronco is 2020 directly from Ford's mouth.

2019 F150 limited will have the Raptor engine as an option and should have good towing capacity.

Considering an older tow rig like a GMT800. Since you are racing a BMW you are already spending way more on disposables and renting a tow rig anyway.

OP
OP
xlr8

xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I knew my question/idea was screwy, i think i was looking for that one idiot (like me) to give me the greenlight. Getting another F150 model makes a lot more sense.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I'll throw in my .02. How often and how far do you tow? That would be my first consideration, If it's all the time and longer distances, then the Super Duty is the way to go. However, if only occasionally and mostly local, my 2016 King Ranch SCREW with max towing pkg. was rated at 12,400 lbs. Would likely tow 10K lbs. fine, and the 2018 have a bump in hp/torque and the 10 sp trans.
Also the F-150 is a nicer family ride for around town. But in any case a Raptor wouldn't make the best choice for a primary towing vehicle...sad for you cause it's an awesome truck!!