GEN 1 Shock perch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my shock rebuilder kind of screwed me. I refinished my shocks and clear coated them before sending them out to get rebuilt. In the process i removed the lock rings that hold the perch in place by cutting them off. I bought new ones and clear coated them as well. I tried to install them with some large snap ring pliers but couldn’t open them big enough to get them over the lower lug. So i asked the shop to put them on when they had the top cap off and could take the perch off and put the lock ring on from the top. Well they didn’t so now I’m stuck trying to get that damn thing on. Has anyone had any luck getting it on without disassembling the shock? It might go on if i take the lower bushing out? That seems like a tough job though? Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, the shock rebuilder screwed you? Sounds like you screwed yourself and then didn’t ensure that someone else would fix it for you. Good luck getting that on without taking the shock apart.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my shock rebuilder kind of screwed me. I refinished my shocks and clear coated them before sending them out to get rebuilt. In the process i removed the lock rings that hold the perch in place by cutting them off. I bought new ones and clear coated them as well. I tried to install them with some large snap ring pliers but couldn’t open them big enough to get them over the lower lug. So i asked the shop to put them on when they had the top cap off and could take the perch off and put the lock ring on from the top. Well they didn’t so now I’m stuck trying to get that damn thing on. Has anyone had any luck getting it on without disassembling the shock? It might go on if i take the lower bushing out? That seems like a tough job though? Anyone have any suggestions?

I have my blown shocks in the basement, give me a few min, I go pull it apart and see if theres a way.

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set here also, but I also know that the perch can’t be removed or added with the shocks assembled. I’ve been wrong before, so good luck.

Best advice I have is before accepting the parts, ensure they did what they were supposed to.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe my mistake that i didn’t ask that they did install them. I sent them out to have them rebuilt so i didn’t find out till i opened the box. The rings were zip tied to the shock so there’s no way they didn’t notice them. I do have the email with me telling them to install them. We’ll see what they say on Monday.

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess that wherever you went then, sent them back the same way, hence the zip tie. Hope it works out for you, but the shipping is going to cost someone.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The perch it self, can not be removed or installed with out the shock shaft and cap removed, if you mean the steel ring clip for the perch, it can be done, a little of a pain not to scratch the shock,

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s just the snap rings, that’s a whole different story. Stop using an expander though and start rigging up a setup to get them on. It won’t be pretty, but it’s doable.

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s just the rings. I’ll pick up some larger lock ring pliers and try again

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 small vise grips clipped on ring at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock , shock upside down( shaft down) pry clip open just enough to slip it over and down the shock, the clip will be a little loose now, but pinch it closed with your fingers, as you slide the perch over it, the clip will engage into place, set the perch to the correct position perch and tighten set screw. take caution not to scratch your shock. if my wife was around, i would of made a video , but only have two hands,lol

Last edited: