How to check my tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pale Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just throwing this out there I was trying to find out what type of tune was done to my 14 Raptor I got it form a dealer and they new nothing. Im trying to hunt down the og owner. I was told since it had cold air, headers, and exhaust modifications it had some type of tune, do I need to pull the PCM? ECU? really not to sappy on this I would have to have a tec check this for me. Its runs and sounds great and I have just added to PC to the unit. and while Im asking can you tell me if I can hook up a power chip too without counter reaction with the tune that has been installed? I saw a Ford one that says 60hp in 60 seconds not sure if that is BS or not ? It is called Thunderbolt from chipyourcar.com any thoughts I would like to know anyone's opinions on this thanks.

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go back to the dealer and ask them to call the owner who traded it in and talk to him about what tune---they should have all his info and at least they should call him for you!!

OP
OP
pale Rider

pale Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes I'm going to try this , I was just wondering it must have some type of tune with the add on headers, exhaust ,and cold air is my understanding. just trying to find another way if this don't work out, and see if the chip I mentioned is BS or legit. Thanks for responding thought that the Raptor site would be like the Harley Davidson sites and everyone was Brothers and help each other. take care .

bruiser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those plug and play chips are worthless, if you have a tune it was either put on with a SCT handheld or a performance shop with a dyno. you best bet would be to get a tuner, like the sct x4, or have a performance shop look at it. you won't know what tune is on there without talking to the OG or him giving you the tuner he used.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@pale Rider
Just buying a SCT X4 handheld Tuner isn't going to help you much, it would be a very expensive reader only!!!
You couldn't adjust anything because custom Tunes are usually LOCKED.
You need your original OEM Tune which is backed up on the "Married Tuner" to your vehicle that put the custom Tune on the truck in the first place.
Vin #'s and Tune are embedded on the PCM for theft control.

You will need to call SVC, JDM, Livernois and 5Star with your vin# to find out who Tuned truck.
Now if it was done by another Tuning shop it's going to be hard to track your stuff down.

The easiest course is to get the dealer to contact the original owner and ask for the SCT Tuner device.

I'm actually quite surprised that dealers can get away with selling you a truck without the Tuner Device.
And if it can't pass inspection that is kind of illegal to be able to sell a vehicle in the first place.

I hope you live in a state that doesn't do OBDII emission test. Or at least your truck has rear O2 spacers and the rear O2s turned on.
Any OBDII reader will tell you if the truck is ready for testing, meaning you don't have incompletes with O2s and cats.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pale Rider

pale Rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info It may not even have a tune I read online that if you had headers and cold air and upgraded exhaust system that you would need a tune to have the truck run correctly. I asked this but never really got a answer. I know it does have 2 cats and sensors and no light on in truck. I'm going to check with the dealer if they will give me this guys info, some people don't like to give out persons phone numbers, I got the truck from a 5 star dealer and on a sunday I was there they sold 30 rides man said they sell 60-70 rides a day during the week. now that could be BS but that's what He said. If nothing else I can rip out the pcm and replace with new and do my own tune with the hand held ? what you think? If it don't have a tune I may just let it ride way more power than I need on street anyway Im thinking with the upgrades 450 HP easy if it came 411 stock ? let me know if you have any ideas thanks.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It comes down to, can you get the truck to pass a OBDII state inspection.
If your truck does have headers and the check engine light isn't on, then the rear O2s are turned off.
Or it was done right and rear O2 spacers were added to allow the rear O2s to be left on.
Easiest way to know is get a hold of a OBDII tester and check it.

Buying a new PCM and having it programmed to your truck is going to cost you $1,500 to $2000 at least.
And then you would need to buy a Tuner and Tunes to have the truck run right if it has headers.

I have seen here on the forum that our Tuner Vendors have been able to rebuild a stock OEM Tune
with the help from SCT from the custom Tune that's on the truck.
So calling around with your vin# is the best way to go.