Geiser Progressive Spring Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been searching for an in depth review of the Geiser Progressive Springs. Unfortunately the only reviews I have found are pretty basic. Can someone lead me to a good review of these springs, or type up a quick summary?

I'm thinking the Geiser Springs and Deavers are a decent way to bridge the gap between the stock shocks/springs and 3.0's. My goal is to get a better around town ride, and slightly improve the offload ride quality. I don't run my truck HARD off road, but do drive on a lot of gravel/dirt/sand roads with medium to large wash board and braking bumps. The idea is to reduce or eliminate the harsh chatter in the truck with the stock springs front and back.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m doing the exact same thing right now. I have deaver +2 on my truck now and can notice the difference. Shocks are being rebuilt with a flutter stack now and should be here next week. I’ll post up and let you know what i think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m doing the exact same thing right now. I have deaver +2 on my truck now and can notice the difference. Shocks are being rebuilt with a flutter stack now and should be here next week. I’ll post up and let you know what i think

Please do. Tired of reading “just do it”.

Interested to see if the flutter stack compliments the progressive springs. A flutter stack tries to accomplish the same thing but with valving.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been searching for an in depth review of the Geiser Progressive Springs. Unfortunately the only reviews I have found are pretty basic. Can someone lead me to a good review of these springs, or type up a quick summary?

I'm thinking the Geiser Springs and Deavers are a decent way to bridge the gap between the stock shocks/springs and 3.0's. My goal is to get a better around town ride, and slightly improve the offload ride quality. I don't run my truck HARD off road, but do drive on a lot of gravel/dirt/sand roads with medium to large wash board and braking bumps. The idea is to reduce or eliminate the harsh chatter in the truck with the stock springs front and back.
I would do Deavers first if you don’t have them, the ride on and off-road is improved, noticeable decrease in axle wrap and shutter on washboard roads. I had Geiser on stock shocks in front before going to 3.0’s, they handled much better off-road than stock springs did, I had mine on mid perch so ride was slightly stiffer than stock on highway. IMO they are worth the price but you should consider that Geiser’s and a shock rebuild will be half the cost of 3.0’s so I’d consider them. With the adjustment knob on 3.0’s you can open them up all the way for a plush street ride and close them a bit for off-roading, just a thought.

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do Deavers first if you don’t have them, the ride on and off-road is improved, noticeable decrease in axle wrap and shutter on washboard roads. I had Geiser on stock shocks in front before going to 3.0’s, they handled much better off-road than stock springs did, I had mine on mid perch so ride was slightly stiffer than stock on highway. IMO they are worth the price but you should consider that Geiser’s and a shock rebuild will be half the cost of 3.0’s so I’d consider them. With the adjustment knob on 3.0’s you can open them up all the way for a plush street ride and close them a bit for off-roading, just a thought.

My major issue with 3.0's is:
Service intervals
Check valve noise (I know it minor, but it bothers me)
Price. I can foot the bill, but I have a feeling they will be too stiff around town, it will drive me nuts, and I'll regret not trying a more cost effective route first...

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You get your shocks in?

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My major issue with 3.0's is:
Service intervals
Check valve noise (I know it minor, but it bothers me)
Price. I can foot the bill, but I have a feeling they will be too stiff around town, it will drive me nuts, and I'll regret not trying a more cost effective route first...

Trying to keep this thread alive because I have the exact same concerns and questions as Stewwalker. I am interesting in putting 37's on my truck which adding the Geiser's up front and Deaver's in the back will make possible, but I need a thorough review as to how they both handle on-road, especially the Geiser springs. I am really concerned that the ride quality is going to go in the wrong direction for me. How is the on-road ride better and worse with some level of detail in the response? Thanks for your help!!!!

OP
OP
stewwalker

stewwalker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to keep this thread alive because I have the exact same concerns and questions as Stewwalker. I am interesting in putting 37's on my truck which adding the Geiser's up front and Deaver's in the back will make possible, but I need a thorough review as to how they both handle on-road, especially the Geiser springs. I am really concerned that the ride quality is going to go in the wrong direction for me. How is the on-road ride better and worse with some level of detail in the response? Thanks for your help!!!!

I have zero experience with deavers or Geiser springs. But here is my .02 on what I think will happen to on road ride quality.

If I remember physics class correctly, all springs are progressive in a way. If a spring takes 1 lb to move one inch, it takes a greater force to move the spring the next inch( I think it’s double?). Progressive springs have different coil spacing so if you graph the force needed to compress the spring from 1 to 2 to 3 inches, the graph would ramp up instead of be linear.

Progressive springs should decrease the amount of force required to compress the suspension over small bumps, ie the things you encounter while driving on road. However, if the initial spring rate is too soft, you could blow through the “soft zone” quickly, then hit the next stiffer zone like a brick wall. OR the initial spring rate would be so soft that once your truck is off the lift, the “soft” zone would be so soft that the spring is compressed into the next zone under the truck weight. Repeat this simple theory throughout the “zones” and your ride quality could be shit. I have seen some numbers on how the geiser springs progress. Don’t quote me but I think it was something like 300 lb to compress the Geiger’s the first inch, then 500 lb to compress them 2 inches, then 1200 to compress them 3 inches. Someone did a test and posted the results in another geiser thread. If you look at the spring rates of 3.0’s, I think they were in the 600 lb range to compress them 1 inch. I think stock springs are in the 550 range.

In theory, If you take the weight of the truck at 6,000 lb and divide it by 4, each corner would weigh 1,500 pounds. (I know these trucks aren’t weighted equally, but it’s bathtub theory). This would mean you are compressing the springs past the “soft zone” that would be ideal for every day road driving. The real question is what is the progressive spring rate throughout the stroke of the shock. What is the total weight required to fully compress the spring. Where does the spring rate get stiffer in the stroke.

I assume geiser and deaver did the math and has it right.

Again I am a hobbyist who knows nothing. I am not an engineer. I am not an expert. I am probably wrong.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

I was way off on the geiser spring rates. See below numbers for reference.

He tested his (I think he only tested one spring) and here is his numbers,
1st inch, 490lbs
2nd inch, 900lbs
3rd inch, 1520lbs

I put both of my springs in the spring rate gage here at our shop and this is what I came up with (I tested both springs 3 times each)
Spring #1
1st inch, 286lbs
2nd inch, 731lbs
3rd inch, 1190lbs
Spring #2
1st inch, 330lbs
2nd inch, 746lbs
3rd inch, 1206lbs

Note that he and I did not use the same spring gage to measure these.

Glad I did this, I will be putting the heavier spring on the drivers side.
I also will be powder coating my springs matte black.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have zero experience with deavers or Geiser springs. But here is my .02 on what I think will happen to on road ride quality.

If I remember physics class correctly, all springs are progressive in a way. If a spring takes 1 lb to move one inch, it takes a greater force to move the spring the next inch( I think it’s double?). Progressive springs have different coil spacing so if you graph the force needed to compress the spring from 1 to 2 to 3 inches, the graph would ramp up instead of be linear.

Progressive springs should decrease the amount of force required to compress the suspension over small bumps, ie the things you encounter while driving on road. However, if the initial spring rate is too soft, you could blow through the “soft zone” quickly, then hit the next stiffer zone like a brick wall. OR the initial spring rate would be so soft that once your truck is off the lift, the “soft” zone would be so soft that the spring is compressed into the next zone under the truck weight. Repeat this simple theory throughout the “zones” and your ride quality could be shit. I have seen some numbers on how the geiser springs progress. Don’t quote me but I think it was something like 300 lb to compress the Geiger’s the first inch, then 500 lb to compress them 2 inches, then 1200 to compress them 3 inches. Someone did a test and posted the results in another geiser thread. If you look at the spring rates of 3.0’s, I think they were in the 600 lb range to compress them 1 inch. I think stock springs are in the 550 range.

In theory, If you take the weight of the truck at 6,000 lb and divide it by 4, each corner would weigh 1,500 pounds. (I know these trucks aren’t weighted equally, but it’s bathtub theory). This would mean you are compressing the springs past the “soft zone” that would be ideal for every day road driving. The real question is what is the progressive spring rate throughout the stroke of the shock. What is the total weight required to fully compress the spring. Where does the spring rate get stiffer in the stroke.

I assume geiser and deaver did the math and has it right.

Again I am a hobbyist who knows nothing. I am not an engineer. I am not an expert. I am probably wrong.

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 PM ----------

I was way off on the geiser spring rates. See below numbers for reference.

He tested his (I think he only tested one spring) and here is his numbers,
1st inch, 490lbs
2nd inch, 900lbs
3rd inch, 1520lbs

I put both of my springs in the spring rate gage here at our shop and this is what I came up with (I tested both springs 3 times each)
Spring #1
1st inch, 286lbs
2nd inch, 731lbs
3rd inch, 1190lbs
Spring #2
1st inch, 330lbs
2nd inch, 746lbs
3rd inch, 1206lbs

Note that he and I did not use the same spring gage to measure these.

Glad I did this, I will be putting the heavier spring on the drivers side.
I also will be powder coating my springs matte black.

I really appreciate the response and plan on doing the upgrade. Thanks for the great info!!!!