GEN 1 Leadframe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So im aware there is a recall for certain 2011-2012 6r80 transmissions... however mine doesn't fall into that (mine is a late 2012) besides, the recall is for a sudden downshift which mine has never done.
However... yesterday i did run into a problem. Pulled into a parking lot to turn around and when i couldn't complete the uturn, shifted into reverse and the rear camera didn't turn on? Looked down to to see if i was in R and i was... however on the dash the R was white...anyways nothing no reverse...couple revs and she slammed into reverse and a wrench came up on the dash.
I plugged in my code reader and i got p0705 (transmission range sensor) which on the 6r80 is part of the leadframe.
The fix- called first dealership and they said $200, thankfully they closed before i went there because my local Ford dealer was only $130 this morning.
2 hours later, 8 quarts of tranny fluid and a new filter she is shifting better than ever.
Also another thing to note, my transmission is now running (at least) 20 degrees cooler. It was high 90's today and the hottest tranny temp i saw was 180
Install was simple, drop pan, 11 t30 to pull valve body and 6 t27 for the leadframe.
I highly recommend replacing your leadframe to the new one ford has released even if everything *seems ok. 180 degrees on a hot summer day!
Edit-see below
be3fa1b22df5109b50bfefa190707680.jpg76475033b4270f8a8a0ac1f4ed34a291.jpg312e44cc92fdb0503c600f60d82ae1a4.jpgd4794db3b8a4c8c3fd86000147082a1f.jpg3c6d9a575a76b0ab4758d5e3920b4909.jpgea00d610e11662f1a5f78ec0989d8213.jpg

*Note*
Low temps where seen because i put the thermo valve in upside down so the fluid constantly flowed to the cooler. Had to drain and redo [emoji23]
Below is proper orientation
dc627484d637514de92d16ba24eb9891.gif13847e2dd484f1b55647aa14b9cc09ee.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe the thermostat for the transmission is 190 degrees so it seems a bit odd to me that it would be running below that?

OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe the thermostat for the transmission is 190 degrees so it seems a bit odd to me that it would be running below that?

Hmm, you got me thinking...i put the Thermo valve in upside down. Shit

Brandon###

Reaction score
There’s probably a software update that’s supposed to accompany the new lead frame install as well.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have read the thermostat opens at 185°, and that the part in question is actually a heater to get the transmission fluid temp up to that ASAP; Ford determined the 6R80 likes it hot apparently...

Hmm, you got me thinking...i put the Thermo valve in upside down. Shit

Pics please of that little guy and it's correct orientation if you haven't already gotten back in there, suspect I'll be doing this as a preventative measure as well.

There’s probably a software update that’s supposed to accompany the new lead frame install as well.

For sure if you replace solenoids, I was under the impression it wasn't necessary for just the lead frame though. Anyone know for sure?

OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have read the thermostat opens at 185°, and that the part in question is actually a heater to get the transmission fluid temp up to that ASAP; Ford determined the 6R80 likes it hot apparently...

Pics please of that little guy and it's correct orientation if you haven't already gotten back in there, suspect I'll be doing this as a preventative measure as well.

For sure if you replace solenoids, I was under the impression it wasn't necessary for just the lead frame though. Anyone know for sure?

I don't think there is a heater, but the thermo valve will not open (the passages to the cooler) until ~180-190
This is the valve and the correct orientation
d9beef225e1ec7dbf3d2bb027cac7828.gif4ecd0123187f2d3a8d58b836766af765.gif
It WILL fall out when you drop the valve body, but there is only one hole it will go back in.
One thing to note, gravity makes it difficult to put it in the hole and then bring the valve body back into position. A micro touch of grease might be the easiest way... I played the chinese puzzle game.
As far as the software update, the leadframe is just a connector so no update is needed. Change the valve body, yes you definitely need an update

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is a heater, but the thermo valve will not open (the passages to the cooler) until ~180-190
It WILL fall out when you drop the valve body, but there is only one hole it will go back in.
One thing to note, gravity makes it difficult to put it in the hole and then bring the valve body back into position. A micro touch of grease might be the easiest way... I played the chinese puzzle game.
As far as the software update, the leadframe is just a connector so no update is needed. Change the valve body, yes you definitely need an update

Thanks!

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would check with your dealer about the lead frame programming, the recall gives the dealer the right to reprogrm the trans before actually having to replace the lead frame, with the reprogramming it also will not allow the truck to shift to 1st gear if it should fail. That’s fords way of covering there ass in 3 ways, 1- if reprogram works, they save 100 on lead frame, and 2-X-amount on dealer labor, and 3- if the reprogram don’t work, they don’t get nailed with causing and accident because the truck went from Highway speed to locking up the wheels.

The valve body is a hydraulic housing with ports and chambers, nothing electrical about it, it will only function with the lead frame on it, the trucks computer tells the lead frame what to do, and in turn the lead frame solenoids open and close the ports and chambers that allow the valve body to control the rest of the trans. So it would be more important to do a reprogram if the lead frame was replaced=( electronic part) than the valve body itself=(mechanical unit). I’m in no way saying it won’t work, just cover your ass for the future, knowing your truck won’t shift into 1st gear, if the new lead frame were to fail.
You did a great job and write up, just cover your ass the rest of the way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would check with your dealer about the lead frame programming, the recall gives the dealer the right to reprogrm the trans before actually having to replace the lead frame, with the reprogramming it also will not allow the truck to shift to 1st gear if it should fail. That’s fords way of covering there ass in 3 ways, 1- if reprogram works, they save 100 on lead frame, and 2-X-amount on dealer labor, and 3- if the reprogram don’t work, they don’t get nailed with causing and accident because the truck went from Highway speed to locking up the wheels.

The valve body is a hydraulic housing with ports and chambers, nothing electrical about it, it will only function with the lead frame on it, the trucks computer tells the lead frame what to do, and in turn the lead frame solenoids open and close the ports and chambers that allow the valve body to control the rest of the trans. So it would be more important to do a reprogram if the lead frame was replaced=( electronic part) than the valve body itself=(mechanical unit). I’m in no way saying it won’t work, just cover your ass for the future, knowing your truck won’t shift into 1st gear, if the new lead frame were to fail.
You did a great job and write up, just cover your ass the rest of the way.

While the reprograming is a good idea in case the leadframe fails again (not allowing a shift to 1st at highway speeds) the leadframe is just a "connector" with a few hall effect sensors and does not need any reprograming unlike if you got a new valve body which 100% needs an ecm update.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While the reprograming is a good idea in case the leadframe fails again (not allowing a shift to 1st at highway speeds) the leadframe is just a "connector" with a few hall effect sensors and does not need any reprograming unlike if you got a new valve body which 100% needs an ecm update.

Correct, its the connector that the ecm uses to tell the solenoids on the valve body what to do, my point for the reprogramming, was for the strategy not to allow the trans to drop to first gear, nothing more, you did a great job and write up, 99% probably not gonna have a problem, so please don't think i'm saying you did anything wrong, just talking about fords reason for the reprogram, I would have done the job my self same as you and on my way, but was lucky my truck fell under the recall. he'll ford and dealer could of been blowing smoke up my ass with strategy story. lmao, to legally cover them selves. None the less GREAT JOB.

Last edited: