Who is running a trail light?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Baja S2 with a yellow lens as a rear racing bed light. Anyone have any thoughts?

when it is REALLY dusty an S2 isn't really enough in the daytime. This is especially true if it is a mid-speed (think 15-30 mph) run on a tighter trail.

At very least if you go S2, go with a Pro(s).

I run a pair of squadrons and a pair of S2s as chase lights.

trophycummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Five years ago, every truck in dezert racing was running semi truck marker lights as a dust light.

I personally feel that a pair of S2 pros does a great job as a dust/trail light. Just make sure you mount them as high as possible.

Jsousa03

Reaction score
The S2 makes for a great dust light. We use them in our third brake housings and they are bright as hell.

Can you get more shots of your setup here? Is the GPS puck mounted on the light? Very clean set up. More details please...

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you get more shots of your setup here? Is the GPS puck mounted on the light? Very clean set up. More details please...

https://gj-motorsports.com/Lighting/GJ-Motorsports-3rd-Brake-Lights/Ford-F-150-Raptor-2010-2014-3rd-Brake-Light

GPS puck in mounted to the roof but we can add an antenna mount to the brake light housing.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
TP0veAL.jpg

Here is a good night-time comparison shot. The decision is ultimately yours.

The lights from top to bottom:

2 S2 Sports, work/scene lens in GJ motorsports 3rd brake light housing. (yellow)

2 Squadron Sports, wide/cornering lenses (yellow)

2 S2 Pros, Wide/cornering lenses (White)

you can see that while S2 Pros are brighter than S2 Sports, Squadron Sports are much , much brighter by comparison. I have been in heavy dust on runs where it is sand 2 track with trees on both sides ( during the day in bright sunlight), none of the 2 light combos are blinding to the follow truck. The Squadrons are much easier to see when the trucks are spaced 30-50 yards apart.

I have the s2 sports and squadron sports wired to a flasher as well, for emergency/caution scenarios.

I have not had them lit up on a night run yet.

Last edited:

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TP0veAL.jpg

2 S2 Sports, work/scene lens in GJ motorsports 3rd brake light housing. (yellow)

you can see that while S2 Pros are brighter than S2 Sports, Squadron Sports are much , much brighter by comparison. I have been in heavy dust on runs where it is sand 2 track with trees on both sides ( during the day in bright sunlight), none of the 2 light combos are blinding to the follow truck. The Squadrons are much easier to see when the trucks are spaced 30-50 yards apart.

I have the s2 sports and squadron sports wired to a flasher as well, for emergency/caution scenarios.

Nice !!
Any day photos that show how the lights are mounted to the rear bed rail?
Does the bed rail light work well for reverse lights or does the tail gate get in the way / block the light pattern?

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TP0veAL.jpg

You want your chase lights to be at the same height and as high as possible. If you run lights at different heights, you could look like two different trucks from the rear. People who race will ding you for multi-level chase lights.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
You want your chase lights to be at the same height and as high as possible. If you run lights at different heights, you could look like two different trucks from the rear. People who race will ding you for multi-level chase lights.

I can switch all of the pairs on/off independently. I took a picture of everything on just to show the comparison.

The brakelight yellows work great for most situations, and the squadrons work best for super heavy dust.

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Nice !!
Any day photos that show how the lights are mounted to the rear bed rail?
Does the bed rail light work well for reverse lights or does the tail gate get in the way / block the light pattern?

They are mounted to the top of the bedrail. I unbolted the bed , slid it back a couple inches, then tightened them down. They are on top of the rail, so the tailgate doesn't come into play. I also have a bedcover which doesn't block them even when it is rolled up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free