DIY Tire Rotation (TPMS problems?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ChevyChad

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Good info here.

Except you, Jake.... What you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 Raptor figured it all out on its own. FWIW, I run with six tires. Discount Tire put TPMS in both spares. Those sync up automatically too.

I was happily surprised to see that the correct tires showed up on the screen.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About ready to rotate my tires since I have about 4k on the truck now. Can I just rotate them and call it a day? Or will that throw off the TPMS system? If the sensors need to be re-learned for the new location, is there any way I can do that myself?

Chad: Did you do a 4 or 5 (including spare) rotation? I'd prefer to rotate all 5 to get as much life as possible from them, and so when I replace them I can replace all 5 and keep a matched set. The reason I ask is that my spare has a 'temporary use only' sticker on it even though it's a full-size service tire on a full-size rim (I have the optional wheels).

The only reason I can think of for the sticker is that there's no TPMS sensor in the spare. I wondered about putting one in there, and if it would work automatically or cause the dash warning light for the TPMS system to come on. I seem to remember poking around in the Forscan spreadsheet and seeing a setting for a 4- or 6-channel TPMS system (don't think there was a 5-channel option). If I set it for 6-channels and put a sensor in the spare that seems like it would cause the warning light to come on as the system isn't getting data from a 6th channel (unless I put 2 sensors in one tire).

My questions are if I get a new TPMS sensor and put it in the spare will the system receive data from it and allow me to do 5-tire rotations?

Wheelman: Any Forscan settings to modify? If I read your post correctly you just put the sensors in the spares and the system read them? How do they show on your dash display (can you post a picture if you don't mind)?

OP
OP
ChevyChad

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chad: Did you do a 4 or 5 (including spare) rotation? I'd prefer to rotate all 5 to get as much life as possible from them, and so when I replace them I can replace all 5 and keep a matched set. The reason I ask is that my spare has a 'temporary use only' sticker on it even though it's a full-size service tire on a full-size rim (I have the optional wheels).

The only reason I can think of for the sticker is that there's no TPMS sensor in the spare. I wondered about putting one in there, and if it would work automatically or cause the dash warning light for the TPMS system to come on. I seem to remember poking around in the Forscan spreadsheet and seeing a setting for a 4- or 6-channel TPMS system (don't think there was a 5-channel option). If I set it for 6-channels and put a sensor in the spare that seems like it would cause the warning light to come on as the system isn't getting data from a 6th channel (unless I put 2 sensors in one tire).

My questions are if I get a new TPMS sensor and put it in the spare will the system receive data from it and allow me to do 5-tire rotations?

Wheelman: Any Forscan settings to modify? If I read your post correctly you just put the sensors in the spares and the system read them? How do they show on your dash display (can you post a picture if you don't mind)?

I haven't done mine yet. Planning to this weekend. I can't answer your main question(s), but I am pretty sure that the spare does not have a TPMS in it.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 Raptor figured it all out on its own. FWIW, I run with six tires. Discount Tire put TPMS in both spares. Those sync up automatically too.

I was happily surprised to see that the correct tires showed up on the screen.

Can you post a pic of what your tire pressure display looks like in your gauge console? I want to put a TPMS in my spare so I can do a 5-tire rotation when I'm due. Wondering how the display configures this. Where did you get the additional TPMS sensors, and how much did Discount Tire charge to put them in? Are you using OEM rims or aftermarket ones?

Lots of questions, thanks for any answers you can share.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of what your tire pressure display looks like in your gauge console? I want to put a TPMS in my spare so I can do a 5-tire rotation when I'm due. Wondering how the display configures this. Where did you get the additional TPMS sensors, and how much did Discount Tire charge to put them in? Are you using OEM rims or aftermarket ones?

Lots of questions, thanks for any answers you can share.

I run six OE Ford bead locks.

The display will only show the four corners. When I rotate the tires, the Raptor shows the TPMS at each corner. It doesn’t show the spare under the bed or the second spare in bed.

Discount Tire sells the TPMS units. Just go there, don’t OCD on this.

I also use balance beads, which I’ve been happy with. I live off grid for half the year and drive very rough roads. I also do top end runs on the 90 mile one way trip to town. The speed governor on the truck shuts it down at 107/108. Balance has stayed good.

Best.

Kenny008

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re exactly right concerning the Temporary Use sticker. It’s somewhere in the manual (sorry( not at home right now(, but it states the spare is identical to the other four with the exception of the TPMS module.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
March build 2018 SCREW. Just did my first tire rotation (and second oil change) at 6000 miles, and I had kept an eye on these threads since I knew this was coming up. I have 6 tires, all with TPMS. The plan is to rotate them all in and out, however this first rotation was only the tires on the truck, and the spares did not play.

I did the rotation, back to front and front to back and crossed.

I run different pressures front and rear on the road, softer on the rear. When I moved the tires I changed the pressures.

I did not reteach the system where each tire was. At first the system showed the wrong locations. The backs showed 39 lbs and the fronts showed 36 lbs, which was reverse of what the actual tire locations were. However, after about three miles of driving the system corrected itself (I watched it do it), and now shows the correct pressures in the correct locations.

So, at least for my truck, there is no need to manually teach the truck where each tire is, unless you are worried about that first few miles.

T!