Off road navigation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys use?

I don't want to buy and install a "system" that takes up a lot of money or space, but I do want something that will get me there and back. I have looked at Lowrance, then I saw a setup where you hook a GPS antenna unit to an iPad and install an app and away you go.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone used this type set up?

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys use?

I don't want to buy and install a "system" that takes up a lot of money or space, but I do want something that will get me there and back. I have looked at Lowrance, then I saw a setup where you hook a GPS antenna unit to an iPad and install an app and away you go.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone used this type set up?

Depends on how much you'll need navigation. LeadNav is the best place to start and you dont need the external antenna. Use that app for a while and if it doesn't suit your needs then upgrade to Lowrance. The map downloads that Leadnav requires become cumbersome at some point. When your sick of LeadNav get the Carbon 7 inch and the HD map files from PCI. Leadnav can become your backup

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use an IPAD Pro with a external Garmin GPS and GAIA app. It works great. You can download maps to use offline (where I go, no cell signal). The only limitation is you can only download so many Satellite maps on the IPAD at one time. (GAIA limitation, not the IPAD limitation) It keeps trails, you can name them and put notes in. There are several maps to chose from and you can switch on the fly, your trails will also so up.

I think the price for the app was $ 30 for a year, I am not sure. You really do not need the premium membership unless you are a pro.

If we are in the National Forest we use their tops maps and it shows all 4wd trails, even some that do not exist.

Many of my Jeep friends who off road also use it.

OP
OP
FINRPTR

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know if LeadNav has the option to overlay google maps on top of the waypoints? Someone suggested that I should find a program that has that option.

I guess the real question is, in Lucerne and Johnson Valley, will LeadNav show all the roads and trails?

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know if LeadNav has the option to overlay google maps on top of the waypoints? Someone suggested that I should find a program that has that option.

I guess the real question is, in Lucerne and Johnson Valley, will LeadNav show all the roads and trails?

Yes you can download various satellite images. Its cheap and easy. Go this route

OP
OP
FINRPTR

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know, Thank you.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

I just found their Web site. Good stuff here.

Thanks again guys.

OP
OP
FINRPTR

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got everything working. I used a Builtright dash mount kit, ball mounts and arm from Ram, a new iPad, and a Dual GPS receiver. Purchased the mid-range LeadNav map upgrade and so for I am enjoying this setup. The real test will be this weekend, we’re going out into the desert. It did take a looooonnnnnnggggggg time to download the maps for where we are going, but I’m sure it will be nice to have decent maps and nav.

0E66D92E-E485-41C3-930E-566C9CB1F727.jpeg

9F62242F-C228-4F5B-BA88-B6B804CD0706.jpeg

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got the same mounts and a Ipad4...have loaded Leadnav but it's not a intuitive program...
Have not got a chance to use it, so will give it a try before I start whinnying like a little girl...You need your Ipad to be able to cellular because those are the only ones that have a GPS chip...I believe you can use a external Bluetooth GPA antenna if you have no chip...

OP
OP
FINRPTR

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did purchase a GPS unit, made by Dual, it works very well. I downloaded the suggested app so I could see all the satellites it connects to.

BushwiickBill

Reaction score
You can use Google Maps and just download the Offline map to your smartphone or tablet (as long as it has cellular) and you should be running the most up to date software.. If your Raptor has Sync 3 with CarPlay or Android Auto you don't need the tablet. You can save customized waypoints and points of interest, etc and it's all free of charge. I've used Google Offline maps for several years now and it's worked flawless and I've logged thousands of miles in the middle of nowhere here in NV. There's also a great hunting app (onX Maps) that has a lot of great info (property lines, BLM areas, etc) that works Offline but wouldn't work with Sync 3 (and it's a paid yearly subscription app).