GEN 2 DIY way to increase base in stock 802A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FmaxTurboSi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, giving this a try next week.

I had the sony in my 17 f250 platinum and now have the B&O in the 18 raptor. The B&O is a slight improvement from the sony, but looking forward to even more "slight improvement."

FmaxTurboSi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did this yesterday as well...... ended up getting the noico 80mm 10sq ft kit from amazon for $20. I think I used less than half of the material.

Extra thump and cleaner sound. Not as muffled. I feel like you can hear the different frequencies from the subwoofer now.

Recommend the hour worth of work on this one.

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wife drove the truck to the work yesterday, so she was all up for doing this while "stock" was stuck in her head. If she wants to help on modifications I'm all for it...

Anyways, I ended up using Kilmat (I had a crap ton of ebay bucks so it was basically free) and it made a huge difference IMO. I do feel as though you can hear the different frequencies produced by the sub as the previous poster mentioned. Definitely worth it if you're wanting to keep the stock sub and/or sub box.

-Corey

ChrisJTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this yesterday, took all of 40 minutes. Thanks OP for sharing this idea.

I don't know what improvements it made just yet, I will know once I have more seat time. However, I am not an audiophile and typically cannot tell the difference between slight changes in audio quality.

bc679d8561103610d4c5f004a012697c.jpg
I happened to notice you didn't roll the mat onto the box w/a roller. Does it matter?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ChrisJTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished this up, and also did the front center speaker as well that a member gcode posted. Sounds cleaner now. Not bad for the time and price. Thanks you to those who posted these diy speaker upgrades. Might just dynomat the whole cabin now lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

nick71692

Reaction score
did the same exact mods over the weekend...center dash speaker makes a big improvement, as does wrapping the sub enclosure...also added some poly fill inside. Certainly not any louder but cleaner.

After seeing the quality of the sub itself, I wonder if the sound could made cleaner with a better sub. I realize adding an amp and better sub could achieve a louder sound...but not sure I need louder. Any install a better sub and leave the OEM amp in?

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did the same exact mods over the weekend...center dash speaker makes a big improvement, as does wrapping the sub enclosure...also added some poly fill inside. Certainly not any louder but cleaner.

After seeing the quality of the sub itself, I wonder if the sound could made cleaner with a better sub. I realize adding an amp and better sub could achieve a louder sound...but not sure I need louder. Any install a better sub and leave the OEM amp in?

I put in the kicker sub and left in the OEM amp for now. I really think the sweet spot is once you add an amp but I'm still waiting til I figure out exactly what I want to do. I would say maybe a slight improvement with just swapping out subs and no amp.

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing that will make a big improvement is adding Dynamat to the doors, both outer and inner panels. I bought the Dynamat and a new pair of front door speakers and will tackle this when the temp cools down a little. Too hot to work in the garage this week.