SPD turbo adapters and Kooks catted downpipe install tips/help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update time:

Everything is installed!! Started at 7:30 this morning and got done at 2pm. And that was with a 1hr trip to a local machine shop to have the upstream o2 **** on the passenger side of the downpipes repaired. It was completely destroyed, and I did not catch it before I tried installing the o2 sensor. The threads were stripped and cross threaded. Machinist said it looked like it was welded in too hot, and nothing was ran back though the **** after welding. So it destroyed the o2 sensor. I was pretty pissed. I’ll be calling Kooks on that Monday. But a couple $20 bills later it was fixed and I was happy.

The downpipes fit pretty good. The connecting piece for the drivers side pipe to the stock catback was ovaled and closed a bit. So it would not slide together. I fought it for 20 mins under the truck before I had to take it back out and open it up a bit so the pipes would slide together. Once I did it all went together. What I was not happy about with them was not knowing the o2 sensor wires would end up so short, because of the placement of the bungs on the new downpipes. The drivers side upstream sensor just barely was long enough to reach. The passenger side upstream was plenty long enough. Both downstream sensors I had to get above the transmission to the wiring harness and cut a couple zip ties to be able to get the factory harness separated enough to connect everything. Was kind of a pain in the ass honestly. The whole install of the downpipes was a pain in the ass honestly.

The turbo adapters..... went as smooth as butter. Probably the easiest part of the job. The truck had not been driven in 8 days. It’s not a daily driver, so I think this helped. Plus it only has 3693 miles on it. The nuts came right off, and the studs backed out with almost no effort needed. The stud extractor worked very well. No heat, no PB Blaster needed. I was surprised actually. It was nerve racking when I tried the first one, without heat or anything, fearing the worst would happen but wanted to see how frozen they were inside the turbo.

All in all it wasn’t a bad job at all. I already had the AFE stage 2 intake installed, so today just helped the turbos sound even better. As for sound, I wish this is how the truck sounded from factory. Little more noise when you step on it, quiet when cruising. I’m leaving it as is, I’m not changing anything else exhaust wise. No rasp, and no ricer sound so I’m happy with it.

I can feel it pull a little better throughout the rpms. So by the seat of the pants it feels like I gained some HP and TQ. And for the hell of it I through a set of SP 542 plugs in while I was at it. I have had a little stutter so maybe these will help. Time will tell.

I took it out and put about 20 miles on it and (knock on wood), no CEL as now. I’m driving it this coming week for work so I’ll see if one pops up.

Higgs Boson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice, sounds like you got lucky with the turbo studs, count your blessings, lol.

it does suck to hear about the downpipes, mine were great. yes, I also had to cut the harness ties a little to get some slack but that wasn't a big deal to me. :)

enjoy!

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to do it again, I would do the same your doing, Downpipes+adapters to stock exhaust.
When I got my borla s type, I never thought I would want to change the stock dps down the road.

Did you replace the downpipes and the Borla at 2 different times? If so how was the sound with each, did it get incrementally louder?