Turbo timer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

salts001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed before but coming from a background of owning turbo cars (Z's and Supra) I've always had turbo timers on them to preserve the mechanics - letting the turbos cool down before shutting off. Does this not apply to these trucks? I'm curious what the longevity is on these turbos. This is my first turbo engine since the early 90's. Is this non applicable on modern day turbo charged engines? What are your thoughts...

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Synthetic oils and water cooled turbos have pretty much eliminated the oil coking issue.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My last Turbo kept fluid moving through the turbos even after you shut the car off for a small amount of time. Not sure if the Raptors do this though.

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manual says these trucks continue to cool the Turbos after it's shut off if they need it. I know with my 17 powerstroke, even after pulling a horse trailer with 6 horses on the highway. My exhaust temp drops rapidly after shutting it off. I have a monitor on the truck and it's not at all like the old days

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The manual says these trucks continue to cool the Turbos after it's shut off if they need it. I know with my 17 powerstroke, even after pulling a horse trailer with 6 horses on the highway. My exhaust temp drops rapidly after shutting it off. I have a monitor on the truck and it's not at all like the old days

Which do you like better? I was torn on going that route and sending it off to MegaRexx to get converted into a Mega Raptor.

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diesel serves it's purpose but honestly unless you need it, it's a lot of hassle., Regen, DEF expensive as hell to maintain. I love my raptor and like the 250. The modem diesel has too much government intrusion on it. I've watched people have them deleted and get the warranty voided, trade in is almost impossible after a delete. If they do take it, they offer nothing. A good way to tell is go by any dealer and look at the amount of 16-17 diesels on the used car side. I have to have it for my farm equipment and horses. I wouldn't pay the extra 14k for the diesel option on the 250 otherwise

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah what I probably need is a Prius but that ain’t going to happen!