brake issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i recently have started to have a problem with my brakes. they are squishy. when you push the pedal, it goes all the way down, fairly easy. i really have to push on them to slow down from higher speeds. it almost like the pressure isnt staying. some say the master cylender, some say its the brake lines. one caliper isnt closing hard enough. its greased and moves freely. there are no fluid leaks and no air bubbles in the system. now i get these brakes hot 3 or 4 tines a week and when i say hot, you can see the pic i attached. any suggestions where i start first? im getting new rotors and pads soon but i dont think its going to solve my problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20180704_003004422_LL.jpg
    IMG_20180704_003004422_LL.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 30

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
are you cooking the fluid?
when was the last time it was fully changed?

That’s probably where I’d start - in fact, I will be doing it on one of my bikes for almost the same reason. The pads are old but not out of service limits, but the lever doesn’t feel right, so I grounded her until l can get the fluid flushed.

if you pump the brakes, do you get a better feel? if not, I’m less inclined to think air or fluid.

Honestly, brake pedal to the floor sounds more like a leak to me, but you said no fluid leaks.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stainless lines will help for sure but that not the root cause if it has changed since you got it. Fluid gets old and holds some moisture could be a cause. How long since you looked at the rear parking brakes? Have ya had it in water or mud and not cleaned the rear out? Thats tends to happen a lot.

OP
OP
The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all rotors are like that after i come down the mountain. fronts a little brighter than the rear. the rear parking brake is broken. so i have no parking brake. i just got a new cable because it was the cable that is broken. but parking brake should have an effect on the brakes would it?

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

are you cooking the fluid?
when was the last time it was fully changed?

That’s probably where I’d start - in fact, I will be doing it on one of my bikes for almost the same reason. The pads are old but not out of service limits, but the lever doesn’t feel right, so I grounded her until l can get the fluid flushed.

if you pump the brakes, do you get a better feel? if not, I’m less inclined to think air or fluid.

Honestly, brake pedal to the floor sounds more like a leak to me, but you said no fluid leaks.
pumping the brakes doesnt do anything. when the vehicle is off and i pump the brakes i get pressure, but not what it used to be. fluid is mostly clear, doesnt appear to be burnt

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all rotors are like that after i come down the mountain. fronts a little brighter than the rear. the rear parking brake is broken. so i have no parking brake. i just got a new cable because it was the cable that is broken. but parking brake should have an effect on the brakes would it?

---------- Post added at 07:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 AM ----------

pumping the brakes doesnt do anything. when the vehicle is off and i pump the brakes i get pressure, but not what it used to be. fluid is mostly clear, doesnt appear to be burnt

If the parking brake it broke what is used to make the adjust on the rears?

J. Wolfe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I would change the fluid and replace the rubber lines with stainless and check your calipers closely when you change the pads and rotors.
We had rubber lines fail in a Dodge pickup/brushfire truck, caused the brakes to drag and overheat pretty much the whole system.