Which Lowrance would you go with??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I decided to just stick with my 5 elite. Just gonna get the 16w tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 10:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

Can you point me in the direction of the $65 antenna

Lowrance LGC-16W Elite GPS Antenna with 20' Cable - Lowrance 000-00146-001 - Lowrance Antennas - Lowrance/Eagle Accessories - Accessories - Boatersland Marine

Or

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Lowranc...MIi6Tz_J-T3AIVCFp-Ch3oKQrCEAQYASABEgLjlfD_BwE

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the HDS Carbon 7 and I haven't needed an external Antenna. The internal antenna has worked just fine out west and I avoided having to mount the ugly one-point. Anything over 7 inches is overkill in my opinion and takes away valuable window space. You are just following a small point (or a boat icon) on a screen and not watching a movie. Get this file if you are out west.
https://www.pciraceradios.com/collections/mapping/products/topo-insight-hd-southwest

Last edited:

Darthyota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks super sharp! How does it perform?

I really like it. Theres more maps available for the Garmin its super accurate and I haven't needed an external antenna. Plus it has 2 video in sources so I can add a Flir Pathfinder 2 system down the riad, 2 SD card slots, it can control a Garmin action camera and once I figure out how it needs to be wired it has a J-1939 Canbus

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My HDS 9 sits lower than my BAJA 5 did. I modified my own custom mount . From seated driving position, top of unit in even with right hand edge of hoodline so it blocks no window space at all. It also removable takes about a minute to loosen the knobs and and unplug the wires.

Attachments

• GPS.jpg
    GPS.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
jackrook

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah me and my gramps kicked around the idea of custom mounts. He has a plasma cutter so it’s easy-ish. Essentially what we are gonna do is drill into the top cubby and have to cut the brackets into an arch shape which allows us to clear the cubby. Then above the buttons(track control, flashers, etc) I’m going to use some 3M Velcro and attack a small piece of rubber that goes the full width of the Lowrance so that way on the big jarring whoops, it’s not banging into my dash, instead it’s gently kissing the rubber lol.