GEN 2 E&G Console Safe Install: A World Class Goat Rope

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NHnewbie

Reaction score
Been working on the install of an E&G console safe in my 2018 SCrew. Turned out to be a real PITA. The first safe I received did not fit properly, and prevented the console lid from latching as it normally does. Tried a number of workarounds short of modifying the console latches with a Dremel tool. Spent considerable time on the phone with E&G. They were helpful but still no go. They finally suggested I send it back for exchange, which I did. The problem was the safe barrel lock interfering with the console lid. My guess is that the tolerances with the truck and safe stacked up to be a few thousandths from allowing a proper fit.

E&G and Apollo Optics (dealer I purchased from) were very accommodating in providing an exchange safe, with shipping at their expense. This one fit well enough to allow the lid to close properly. However, some fiddling was needed to get the securing bracket installed so that all four hold down bolts would reach the nut plates. On a first attempt, the left front nut was far enough below the floor of the console that the provided 2in bolt would not engage the nut. Took the bracket out and noted the left half of the bracket was bent substantially downward, making the gap too large for the bolt to reach. I bent this side of the bracket upward a bit and reinserted the bracket under the console. The upward bend brought the nut close enough for the bolt to reach, but important to engage the threads on the left front bolt before installing the other three bolts. This was necessary on my truck because there is some kind of rubber foot/bumper protruding from the bottom of the console which interferes with the left hand side of the bracket and pushes the bracket down, out of reach of the bolt. Difficult to see what exactly was going on under the console due to limited viewing space.

Way too many hours spent on getting this right, but, yes, I’d buy it again as it is the only product I have found which leaves some storage outside the lockable safe. And, I could likely do it in the claimed 30 minutes knowing what I know now. E&G and Apollo took good care of me. The install instructions could be improved a bit in the area of disassembling the console, especially removing the various electrical connectors, and where to apply the pry bar to lift the console without damage - not obvious to a first timer. I did find an installation video that was helpful here: https://www.americantrucks.com/e-g-center-console-lock-vault-1517.html

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Been working on the install of an E&G console safe in my 2018 SCrew. Turned out to be a real PITA. The first safe I received did not fit properly, and prevented the console lid from latching as it normally does. Tried a number of workarounds short of modifying the console latches with a Dremel tool. Spent considerable time on the phone with E&G. They were helpful but still no go. They finally suggested I send it back for exchange, which I did. The problem was the safe barrel lock interfering with the console lid. My guess is that the tolerances with the truck and safe stacked up to be a few thousandths from allowing a proper fit.

E&G and Apollo Optics (dealer I purchased from) were very accommodating in providing an exchange safe, with shipping at their expense. This one fit well enough to allow the lid to close properly. However, some fiddling was needed to get the securing bracket installed so that all four hold down bolts would reach the nut plates. On a first attempt, the left front nut was far enough below the floor of the console that the provided 2in bolt would not engage the nut. Took the bracket out and noted the left half of the bracket was bent substantially downward, making the gap too large for the bolt to reach. I bent this side of the bracket upward a bit and reinserted the bracket under the console. The upward bend brought the nut close enough for the bolt to reach, but important to engage the threads on the left front bolt before installing the other three bolts. This was necessary on my truck because there is some kind of rubber foot/bumper protruding from the bottom of the console which interferes with the left hand side of the bracket and pushes the bracket down, out of reach of the bolt. Difficult to see what exactly was going on under the console due to limited viewing space.

Way too many hours spent on getting this right, but, yes, I’d buy it again as it is the only product I have found which leaves some storage outside the lockable safe. And, I could likely do it in the claimed 30 minutes knowing what I know now. E&G and Apollo took good care of me. The install instructions could be improved a bit in the area of disassembling the console, especially removing the various electrical connectors, and where to apply the pry bar to lift the console without damage - not obvious to a first timer. I did find an installation video that was helpful here: https://www.americantrucks.com/e-g-center-console-lock-vault-1517.html

Thanks for the kind words! I know it was a bit of a hassle, but I'm glad we were able to get you taken care of!

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one too. It was definitely more involved of an install that the Console Vault (which Ford also brands/sells). I do like that there is non-secured room over the whole thing being locked.

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue, first time sliding the lower plate in caused the left front part to bend out of contact range. Second time the nut insert fell off under the console somewhere. It’s held in by three screws only now.

It doesn’t bother me, the safe fits well, no rattles and feels very secure. I would recommend this to anyone who asks.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had some similar issues as OP....took me few hours.....could do the second one in 30 minutes tops. Seems that is how it goes with me a lot of the times.