2017 Raptor Transmission Slip & Overheat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ltl6pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer had verified high temps and limp mode codes. But they can't figer why. But to fill it back up with fluids and call it quits.

They thought it was a bad computer that time and replaced it.

Look at the lines going to and from the cooler. This is a photo of what you might fine.

Attachments

• 362BDF6F-1370-4DC0-81FC-5C7F176904B2.jpg
    362BDF6F-1370-4DC0-81FC-5C7F176904B2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 129

Piranharaptor

Reaction score
My plastic pan was leaking (yes the trans pan) I had the gasket replaced and my trans started doing the same thing. Once temp got over 210 it would start shifting hard and all that. The dealership contacted a ford tech and after a week or so determined it was either under or over filled. I’m not a tech or great mechanic but was told the Fluid would foam if not filled correct. When mine would overheat I could stop the engine for just a few minutes and when turned back on it would immediately cool down. It seems to be fixed now. Good luck.

Cneil

Reaction score
Slip and overheat

My 2017 just did the same thing. Was on a 8 hr trip about 1 hour from home and it started slipping between 8-10 gears on the highway. Temp was extremely high. Once I got of the interstate it cooled down and don’t slip anymore. Noticed a little fluid under the truck once I got home as well as fluid on the tailgate. Taking to Ford on Tuesday to see what they say. Took a pic of temp then one 4 miles later when it was back to normal. Anyone else having this issue and if so did they ever come up with what is causing it? Thanks

OP
OP
K

KyekyeG

Reaction score
2017 Raptor Update

Update on my situation, ford wanted to replace the transmission because they couldn't figure it out.. the torque converter, transmission cooler and line set where replaced twice only after the BBB arbitration process had a 3rd party drive my truck and confirmed there was an internal transmission issue. ford wanted 2 months to replace the transmission.... I filed a lemon law case and they are now buying back the tuck.

The ford service shops are a joke.... I know they deal with people that don't know auto mechanics but when you take your vehicle in 7 times for the same issue and show proof, it's not a simple fill it up with ATF and call it good...

If any of you are experiencing this issue and have taken it into the dealer 3 times, save your work order and get a lemon law / fraud attorney. things will move in the right direction from there.

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

My 2017 just did the same thing. Was on a 8 hr trip about 1 hour from home and it started slipping between 8-10 gears on the highway. Temp was extremely high. Once I got of the interstate it cooled down and don’t slip anymore. Noticed a little fluid under the truck once I got home as well as fluid on the tailgate. Taking to Ford on Tuesday to see what they say. Took a pic of temp then one 4 miles later when it was back to normal. Anyone else having this issue and if so did they ever come up with what is causing it? Thanks

Mine would do the same after the first 100 consecutive miles. Trans temp would be get to 253 before i pulled over.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow that's a bad pinch on the cooling line - they should upgrade to metal... Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If any of you are experiencing this issue and have taken it into the dealer 3 times, save your work order and get a lemon law / fraud attorney. things will move in the right direction from there.

So no 18' or 19' Raptor in your future and getting out of dodge?

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll get another raptor here in the future. I heard the my have a V8 option.

Yep. The V8 Raptor is an open secret in the industry and has been confirmed by countless blogs and dealership employees. Everything points to a 2018 model year release if you are willing to wait that long.

OP
OP
K

KyekyeG

Reaction score
Yep. The V8 Raptor is an open secret in the industry and has been confirmed by countless blogs and dealership employees. Everything points to a 2018 model year release if you are willing to wait that long.[/Q

I'll wait till it's release for another purchase, its just a toy to me. I'm hoping that i can get one without the dynamic suspension as one day i do plan on drastically change the build.

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTF

Who’s having transmission problems, I AM!!, trucks in the shop 17,000 miles on it , it severally over heated 265 degrees! Then started to slip in and out of gears. Had it picked up and taken in. 3 days later they called and are replacing torque converter, 10 days for parts to arrive. They gave me a f150 4x4 to drive thru enterprise rentals. PS It just came out of the shop 2 weeks earlier for oil pan and front cover leak , roll pin, seat belt fix , that took 2 weeks also . Feel free to chim in!! I feel like we’re all test dummies ..

Last edited: