Whipple VS JDM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my buddy had a lot of surging and low speed issues on his 15 mustang 5.0 with a vmp. he is doing a twin turbo build now so its all tore apart, but i think they ended up going back to a smaller TB and that solved most of his surging issues.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm really surprised Whipple has issues with their tune. They are in tight with Ford- I'd not be surprised if Ford's cal teams get in on the S/C'ed Whipple tunes since Ford warranties Whipple/FRPP blower installs through their dealers.

There aren't any issues with the Whipple Tune, why one or two had a problem and couldn't get it resolved is a mystery to me.
There are many running the Whipple Twin 68mm TB but not all of them have the new Gen 2 compressor upgrade yet.

OP
OP
R

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really surprised Whipple has issues with their tune. They are in tight with Ford- I'd not be surprised if Ford's cal teams get in on the S/C'ed Whipple tunes since Ford warranties Whipple/FRPP blower installs through their dealers.

Don’t surprise me one bit. The head GM Guy Mark lives here in NorCal and he tunes cars and trucks all the time on the side cuz people assume he knows best after all he’s the lead guy at GM. Well he tuned my first LS3 in an impala I have and it ran like dog shit. I took it for a 3
Hour drive to get to the guy I know is bad ass he’s tuned many for me. He got over 100 hp more changing the tune around. I’ve since told a few of the shops about this they all goto my guy now and similar stories not quite 100hp but huge drivability and big HP gains.

After that nothing surprises me anymore with these cars.

06-08 we would fly in the Evotec guy from Germany he was a master at AMG cars but always pushed the motors to the limit I know 2 that popped. We will never know if it’s tunning or parts related shit was so Dirty. People covering shit up getting paid off just bad stuff dumped that car and glad to be gone from that type of people. I can go on and on I’ve been modifing cars for ever nothing surprises me today.

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

There aren't any issues with the Whipple Tune, why one or two had a problem and couldn't get it resolved is a mystery to me.
There are many running the Whipple Twin 68mm TB but not all of them have the new Gen 2 compressor upgrade yet.

The whipple TB is the cause to most of the issues. You yourself even told me you have it.
I won’t say they can’t get it right but the fact he said there’s nothing more we can do is complete ********. He could of did more he didn’t want to. This is why oil gear blow they leave ****** tunes that ride the limiter for 15 seconds before it shifts. He claimed it’s the factory safety’s doing it and he can’t fix it.

JDM fixed it first try never even seen my truck it runs better and faster with the small TB and I can’t wait until the big ford racing is back in stock get me 20-30more HP.

If there really is only one or two that whipple can’t get it right that’s not extreamly bad and I’ll take your word that it’s only 1 or 2 but how many has JDM not got right?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"I never said I had surging"
I said, there is a slight flutter when I leaving off the light with 10 to 15 % of throttle and leaving my foot in that position,
and only when the rpms low are steady, it only last a few seconds. Under load or cruising It's fine
It's like the PCM is over correcting and the force of air is trying to shut the blades because of the suction.

I also said the new Gen2 compressor may make that more pronounce since there is more boost at lower rpms.
And I can see that but I won't know till I do the upgrade.

It's not the brand of the TB, it's the size, going back down to a smaller TB will eliminate that.
This is not something new to have this when you go to a bigger TB, doesn't matter if it's the Ford Racing one.
You hear that all over the forums, mono blades are even worst.
You have to remember it's a tiny 5 volt motor with tiny gears and some plastic parts in the drive motor assembly.
I say the manufactures of these TB need to up the gearing to a higher ratio. That's just my opinion.

MetroNYC told me two months ago that JDM's setup with the 65mm TB and the 78 lbs. injectors runs great.
You're running the same Tune that they built for him.
And there getting great power with the smaller TB, that's also cool.
JDM has good Tunes for the Raptor, I would never deny that.

For the forum and this is important:

I also recommended to you that you wait another week or two till Whipple's Tuner was done with Truckzor's truck.
You could have saved a ton of money and headaches and have a little more power!
But now, you'll never know what your missing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait for Whipple? Did you not see the post where the tuner said the surging is caused from fords protection. We both know that’s a full blown lie. He also said there’s nothing else he can do for me. That sums it up right there. I don’t want anything to do with a person or shop that says this shit not to mention all the other BS in emails we went thru.
My truck is way faster and drives with stock carictoristisc using the small TB on it right now and drivability crushes what shit I had. So I’m extremely happy and I have the ford racing on the way now so it will be even better I’m sure. Will truck **** have more power in the end ? He should bigger TB and better gas but I’m not gonna care about 10-15hp for shit customer service and straight up lies about the tune.
100% no doubt my oil gear would of blown out with the tune they had me running.
That would of been great you all could of had a field day on me. Lucky for me the few extra bucks spent to swap everything was no big deal. I’m still in the whole package under MSRP.
Just my opinion but paying to go to the new SC upgrade gen 2 is a waste of money not ditching a shit tune for pennies compared.

I still actually like this truck it’s by far the longest I’ve ever owned a non super car
Or collector car in my life. I might just go 6.6 at this point and keep it till 2020.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You did have a shit show going on with Whipple that's for sure and I don't blame you for bashing Whipple.
And I wouldn't expect you to listen to anything I have to add or say, I get that!!!
All I'm saying is your the only one bashing Whipple out of the thousands that run a Whipple Tune.
Plus 30+ rwhp and torque, especially when it starts low on the power band, that's a real power upgrade.
Certainly is not a waste of money. Can't wait to do mine.

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t want anything to do with a person or shop that says this shit not to mention all the other BS in emails we went thru.

You don't want anything to do with Whipple? You do have a Whipple supercharger, right? You planning to sell it? :ROFLJest:

I'm sure they gave up on helping you for two reasons:

1) Your attitude.
2) Your attitude.

:specialed:

OP
OP
R

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@MTF

Your actually one of the only guys I will listen to. I pretty much also try and find out for myself in the end anyways. You f
You remember I said I was gonna end up getting a JDM tune no mattter what just to compare. I just did it a lil faster.

I waste tons shit tons of money on car/truck/bike parts but not sure if pay the $3000ish bucks for 30hp saying that I’ve done a lot worse way way worse but not sure I would today. The again I never drove in a gen 1 truck so I only know the gen 2.
I think I’d stick that cash towards the 6.6 but that’s just me. I’m def not one to give advise on spending money.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

JDM Tune is more drivable than anything else I've felt, and is how these trucks should be.

I have to agree in my truck you can not get it
To drive any better. It acts perfect. Of coarse more power of s a plus but the drivability is perfect just like everyone says.

I have the ford racing TB on its way soon as that here I’ll have same HP as the whipple or close enough at least and it will still drive perfect. I couldn’t be more happy today now I can’t comment on the new TB until it’s here and on.