New Raptor need fuel help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run the middle grade around here (89-91) in TN mostly, but every third tank or so I run (93). It’s hard to say whether it runs better with the 93 since my foot gets a little heavier after those fill ups. I took my truck out west a couple months ago and was shocked at what they call premium octane.

I’m not interested in the super plugs, since I would imagine the fine Engineers at Ford have dialed in the proper heat range for the Raptor plugs for a stock engine. That thread kind of reminds me of the many weep hole posts in the past.:biggrin:

Oh let’s just leave everything stock then cuz the manufacturer always gets it right

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Congrats on the truck.

2. You can start a mile long debate over this subject. Check your glove box, read the manual, minimum 91 = minimum 91. End of story.

:beatdeadhorse5:

Don’t know what manual your looking at but Gen 2’s call for minimum of 87 and they run just fine on that

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Per the manual, 91 certainly isn’t required. It is however recommended for maximum engine performance. How much performance you lose is debatable. Engineering Explained on YouTube did a test fairly recently and iirc, there was about a 10hp difference on a F150 with the standard (non high output) version of the 3.5 Eco Boost.

It wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume the HO version in our Raptors would lose at least as much, if not slightly more.

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not interested in the super plugs, since I would imagine the fine Engineers at Ford have dialed in the proper heat range for the Raptor plugs for a stock engine. That thread kind of reminds me of the many weep hole posts in the past.:biggrin:

Try them and if you don't like them I'll buy the plugs from you for your price paid.

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rookie.

More stops, lower cost to fill, doesn’t feel as painful. ;-)

Nope not a rookie.
This isn't my first rodeo. I'm a farm kid. Driven bigger, badder, more expensive, that drank far more petrol than this thing.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if you were to drive with a light foot and didnt care about max performance you could certainly run 87. These things do have knock sensors and will dial back timing til the engine is protected. for 80% of my driving i could use 87 , but i dont bother

Dr.McNinja

Reaction score
Annoyed that midgrade here is 89, and premium is 93. I don't mind putting premium in the motorcycle, but it only holds 5 gallons. Not looking forward to that first fillup.