Hellwig Swaybar installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive 90+% urban and highway and don't anticipate taking my 18 SCrew to Moab or any super technical rock crawling. Noticed that the Raptor had quite a bit more body lean than my '14 Z60 Sierra with 20" wheels. I read some favorable comments about the Hellwig rear sway and decided to try it.

Installed on the ground in my garage, took about a hour. Hardest part was snaking in the threaded backing plates into the frame rails. You have to work the plates into place by bending the guide wires to fish it to the frame rail slots so that the U shaped attachment for the sway links can be secured.

Simple hand tools are all that is needed. I mounted mine in the full loose end holes, and there are 3 holes in each end of the sway so its very adjustable.

First impressions - even in the loosest setting body lean is significantly reduced with no unwanted oversteer. No increased roughness noted either.

Very impressed, highly recommend this mod for non-crawlers

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet--I just got mine this last weekend and I will be installing it this week at some point!!! should be a great addition. Next on the list is the JB4

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you take a sweeping right turn under speed (like an exit offramp) and tell me if you hear a grinding noise coming from the right side, maybe right rear

OP
OP
eclou

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you take a sweeping right turn under speed (like an exit offramp) and tell me if you hear a grinding noise coming from the right side, maybe right rear

I have not heard any noise and have taken 45 mph ramps at 70-80 mph with confidence. One thing to look for is the guide wire used to fish the backing plates into place have to be trimmed after install - its possible that is resonating or rubbing against the frame

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have the hellwig on my 250. Great product. Make sure you tighten it up periodically. Mine was loose enough it slide when going over a hill or bump and then stayed slid out of position, lifting one side of the bed.

OP
OP
eclou

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the hellwig on my 250. Great product. Make sure you tighten it up periodically. Mine was loose enough it slide when going over a hill or bump and then stayed slid out of position, lifting one side of the bed.

what parts were loose? The axle mounts or sway links?

OP
OP
eclou

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The axle mounts. Got the impact on them and no problem since

Good to know. I just re-torqued all of mine and tightened the sway to the middle hole. Middle gives quicker turn-in without oversteer and body doesn't lean at all through sharp turns. Highly recommend!

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good to know. I just re-torqued all of mine and tightened the sway to the middle hole. Middle gives quicker turn-in without oversteer and body doesn't lean at all through sharp turns. Highly recommend!

It was funny, actually... I noticed after a wheeling incident, the bed appeared un-level. I stopped by the local Les Schwab (tires, brakes, etc place) and they thought my frame was bent. The tech didn't notice the aftermarket sway bar was sitting cockeyed. I got home and found out what my problem was. 10 minutes later all was good.