Has Anyone Modified the Factory Raptor Stickers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone modified the Raptor stickers on the back of their trucks? I bought my Magnetic 2018 with the Exterior Graphics Package because it had everything else I wanted and I did not want to wait 2-3 months for a special order. (802A, Tech Package, Tailgate Step, non-black wheels, etc.)

I would like to remove the ugly black surround from the sticker and just leave the Flat Black outlined "Raptor" on each side. I think this will make the graphic much less noticeable on the Magnetic truck. I hate to pull the stickers off and throw away $1075, so I am wondering how hard it will be to somehow remove just the outer sections. (i.e. Maybe use an exacto knife to carefully trim off the unwanted sections similar to how it is done with aftermarket paint protection film?)

Any thoughts or pointers are appreciated.

Attachments

• Graphics.jpg
    Graphics.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dont use an exacto. Theres is no way you wont compromise the paint at some point unless you peel to "lift" then cut, however it wont stick the same and it just wont be that clean.

Your best bet is new aftermarket graphics, trim prior to install or find a vinyl shop and go custom.

Search ebay - 2017 Raptor graphics

OP
OP
TXRaptor

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well you are right, I know nothing about cutting stickers off my truck with an exacto knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To paraphrase you from another post:

"Do you realize that the guys who did your black roof used an exacto knife? It literally takes less than 30 minutes to remove the unwanted sections of the rear stickers. You either don't understand how easy it is or you are making a big deal out of nothing."

For others who are interested, the process is quite simple and while it does involve an exacto knife, as with all tools, if you use it correctly it will not cause carnage to the side of your truck. :crazy: If you are not comfortable with working on the exterior of your truck with a very sharp knife, by all means do not do it! (Or, hire someone to do it...)

The top most layer of any sticker is the strongest part, as evidenced by how much it stretches before breaking. Once the top layer has been broken, the sticker will tear in a fairly straight line on its own. To allow it to be torn in a precise straight line, much like folding a paper before tearing, the top layer needs to be lightly scored.

1. Start with a new blade and lightly score the top of the sticker with the exacto knife at a 5 degree angle from the truck. Do not press down hard, or you will cause the carnage referenced above. I chose to score the clear space in between the word RAPTOR and the black surround I wanted to remove. I did it completely free hand and it was easy to remain in between the lines without touching the paint with the blade due to the thickness of the sticker.

2. After scoring the sticker, choose an external corner to begin peeling. It was 95+ degrees yesterday when I did it, so the sticker came off quite easily. If you live in a colder climate, you might need to use a heat gun. Pull the sticker in the same direction of the score and it will tear precisely on the line. In my case, I was mainly pulling front to back. When you get to a corner, you will have to follow it around to maintain an even and straight pull.

3. It took me about 30 minutes a side, but that was because I was being careful with the scoring.

Under full disclosure, I worked in several van customization shops while paying my way through college, so I have experience from 20+ years ago with large graphics on vehicles. I have removed partial stickers from my boats, jet skies and pin stripes from cars, but never from a $68K Raptor.

Here is how it turned out, along with a couple of close-ups to show the lack of carnage others were so worried about. I think it looks much cleaner and I am getting some use out of my $1075 stickers. If I decide I do not like it after my build is done, I will simply remove the rest of the sticker.

IMG_3168.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

Last edited:

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty good result to salvage something from the obscenely overpriced and generally awful factory stickers.