Need Major CAT / Exhaust advice Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deanwam8

Reaction score
@RDFTS I just PM'ed you. Turns out my headers are Borla longtubes. Apparently there is no way to attach cats to them. I was told I will have to remove them and either go with another brand cats/headers (which is way expensive for me now) or go back to stock manifolds/cats. I was told about 8 hours of labor to remove my current headers so this is expensive any way I look at it...Figures...this is one of the worse case scenarios...

Last edited:

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just PM'ed you. Turns out my headers are Borla longtubes. Apparently there is no way to attach cats to them. I was told I will have to remove them and either go with another brand cats/headers (which is way expensive for me now) or go back to stock manifolds/cats. I was told about 8 hours of labor to remove my current headers so this is expensive any way I look at it...Figures...this is one of the worse case scenarios...

Have you attempted to have the truck inspected yet? If it is not throwing any codes (do you have a check engine light showing?) you might pass.

Sunder

Reaction score
I am curious about this as well!
I am searching for my first Raptor and found a nice one several states away. About to go get it and read this thread.....
I ask dealer if it has cats and he says it doesn’t.
So if I decide I want this truck, I will need to put cats on it -or- if it is not throwing codes, then will it pass emissions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Deanwam8

Reaction score
Have you attempted to have the truck inspected yet? If it is not throwing any codes (do you have a check engine light showing?) you might pass.

The check engine light is off I think because it's under tune..but apparently it is throwing 4 O2 sensor codes. I attempted inspection and the problem was that all my monitors were off (again because of the tune I think) so they couldn't complete it. I have Borla long tube headers and a Borla S-Type exhaust with NO CATs. The fact that they are Borla headers totally screws me because apparently there are no CATs that will fit with them in any way..at least that's what I was told by the performance shop in NJ I contacted...as well as Borla. Sucks bad right now.....this mess is going to cost me around $3K+ to fix...

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

I am curious about this as well!
I am searching for my first Raptor and found a nice one several states away. About to go get it and read this thread.....
I ask dealer if it has cats and he says it doesn’t.
So if I decide I want this truck, I will need to put cats on it -or- if it is not throwing codes, then will it pass emissions?

If it's not throwing any codes and they can read your monitors...you may pass. I have no idea how that is possible without cats though. Not every inspection place physically checks for them - but I don't know how you can pass without them. This has been my nightmare of an issue for the past couple weeks...so if someone knows of a way, I would love to know lol. What state are you in? Check and see what your state regulations are. If the truck doesnt have cats...then what is on it? What brand of headers? If it's kooks or stainless works..you can actually get away with putting their cats on for relatively cheap. My situation sucks because my Borla headers will not allow for cats ...so I have to have them taken off ($1000+ in labor) and then either another brand of cats/headers or return to stock cats/manifolds...AND then I need to buy a tuner and have it tuned...major bucks that was not in the original plan...my fault for not checking for cats...Thank god you checked my post cause if I were you..I would do a bit more research before closing the deal...and perhaps ask for a concession because of the lack of cats...

Sunder

Reaction score
I am in Wisconsin. They “outsource” the emissions testing to oil change places and repair shops. They just hook a cable up to the ODB reader. Those guys don’t physically check for cats. The bigger question would be if there are codes being thrown. It has a flow master exhaust.
Argh! I was so close!

The truck is over 800 miles from me, so not easy to test or confirm- and I could be in a similar situation as you!

If I could acquire some stock cats, I could probably add them back on without too much trouble (or not at all if no codes are thrown [emoji6]).

pelon

Reaction score
I am in cali and have the same problem. The5 star tuner eliminates the check engine light but if you hook up a scanner tool you can see the incomplete codes. The smog shop can not pass as it reads the incomplete codes same as the scanning tool. I am not sure what to do next, have magna flow aftermarket cats installed but what to do with the incomplete 02 sensor codes. Need help in Commiefornia.

I purchased the truck from Texas. Kooks headers and magna flow exhaust and no cats. It is also way over the 95 decible rule as well.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in cali and have the same problem. The5 star tuner eliminates the check engine light but if you hook up a scanner tool you can see the incomplete codes. The smog shop can not pass as it reads the incomplete codes same as the scanning tool. I am not sure what to do next, have magna flow aftermarket cats installed but what to do with the incomplete 02 sensor codes. Need help in Commiefornia.

I purchased the truck from Texas. Kooks headers and magna flow exhaust and no cats. It is also way over the 95 decible rule as well.

You are screwed in Kalifornia - Any modification to exhaust before Cats is a violation unless a permit has been issued by the State for compliant / replaced items. The 95 decibel rule should not pertain to vehicles over 6000 Lbs.

OP
OP
D

Deanwam8

Reaction score

Ugh....you’re giving me bad flashbacks....I really hate to say it...but catless just will not work in such strict states as NY and CA...trust me, here in NY I tried just about everything to keep my Catless Borla long tubes....people either could not or were not willing to help...and I went EVERYWHERE within a reasonable distance...it wasn’t in the cards....the only thing I like better now is the sound...believe it or not the combination of the Borla S-type and the racing headers was just too loud for me lol...pm me if you want specifics and more info....good luck buddy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk