Bed Bolt D-Ring Tie Down Points AT COST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyfrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pricing:
If I order 12 at a time to save on shipping, the best price I can find for these online from a reliable source is $91.56 (including shipping). That comes out to $7.63 per ring. I’m rounding up to $9 to cover consumables (black high temp engine enamel paint, eventual replacement of my angle grinder wheel, 1 beer).

At 12 per order, and one beer per ring, that's a 12-pack per run...not a bad idea :favorites13:

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you are saying. When you torque the bolt down it does fit. It causes the ring to become a little tighter though, but it works.

R,
HAP

There’s still plenty of metal holding in the d-ring, but I can’t accurately say what the de-rating is. In fact, I don’t know what the rating of the d-ring is unmodified - it’s not stated on any documentation or website that I can find. However, for comparison, these d-rings are rated for a 1,000lbs WLL with a break strength of 3,000lbs, and they’re considerably smaller.

abfaa0522774f87b55584312244719b8.jpg

Not a bad idea on the liability side. I’ll print out a general release of liability letter and include it with the D-rings. I personally have no concern about these breaking before any straps that I use.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

It doesn’t interfere with the OEM washer, but with the bed bolt itself - see the picture in the original post.

OP
OP
Talbor

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you are saying. When you torque the bolt down it does fit. It causes the ring to become a little tighter though, but it works.

R,

HAP

Without grinding the material on the d-ring, part of the head of the bolt rests on the d-ring hinge and doesn’t sit flush with the d-ring washer/base plate. So, the tensile stresses in the bolt are not evenly distributed on the bolt head, causing a localized stress point that wasn’t part of the fastener selection criteria, which could cause premature failure with the cyclical loading these bolts will see.

Will it probably be fine? Yes. But I don’t want to stress the bed bolts with loads they weren’t expected to take - they’re pretty critical bolts which experience enough stresses, especially if you off-road.

It’s a cheap / easy mod to not risk the potential of damaging the bed bolts with loads they were never intended to take. It’s your truck, so your call - to each his own is my motto.

Last edited:

eclou

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in for 6. Can pick up in Houston this weekend. And if you haven't done the Forscan mods yet I can bring my laptop and adapter to help you

OP
OP
Talbor

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in for 6. Can pick up in Houston this weekend. And if you haven't done the Forscan mods yet I can bring my laptop and adapter to help you

I’ll shoot you a PM. Won’t have them this weekend. I don’t carry stock since I’m not making a profit, so I wait until I get a couple orders in to order some.

Appreciate the offer with forscan! I picked up a ODB 2 dongle and have been having fun with it myself, so I’m covered.

OP
OP
Talbor

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update for all that have ordered thus far. I just received shipping notification that the d-rings will be here Tuesday. So I’ll have them shipped out by the end of next week to everyone via USPS priority.

I used mine again today to take some wheels to the tire shop to dismount the tires (selling some spare Gen 2 beadlock capable rims). I highly recommend those 2” straps I linked in the original post. They’re huge, well built from my experience thus far, and just kinda fun to use. My 2 cents.

efc9e9744680674039f3168a76387b5f.jpgca6b73b704781d25d118656895c16d9b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free