Bed Bolt D-Ring Tie Down Points AT COST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m taking orders for ready-to-install bed bolt mounted D-ring tie downs AT COST.

c3df4ed2-637f-409f-94ed-7391eab7780d.jpg

After doing some research, I found this solution for mounting my 2nd spare: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f264/bed-bolt-tie-down-install-54540/

I installed 6 of these for TRR to secure my recovery kit and 2nd spare and they were AWESOME. They held up great, were beefy, and very functional as a tie-down point for multiple ratchets. The straps I used were 2” locking ratchets with hooks from Amazon for $30 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GIMUDEQ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20 ). You could use something less beefy, like some 1” or 1-1/2” straps, but I like the look of the bigger ones. We’re only talking about a 100lb tire/wheel – I think two 2,500lbs WLL straps might be a bit overkill.

IMG_1670.jpg

Process to make these:

•Order rings from a MOPAR parts supplier (I know, I know – sacrilege)

•Grind to fit bed bolts

•Touch-up paint with black gloss high-temp enamel engine paint (hardest stuff I know of to prevent chipping)​

IMG_1569.jpg

How to install:

•Remove bed bolts with T-50 Torx PLUS bit - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O846UI/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

•Push bed bolt through d-ring and “hand tighten” bed bolts

•Use a ratchet strap to keep d-rings from rotating while applying final torque

•Torque bed bolt to 56-ft-lbs​

IMG_1568.jpg

Supplier: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-retainer-5170492aa

Pricing:

If I order 12 at a time to save on shipping, the best price I can find for these online from a reliable source is $91.56 (including shipping). That comes out to $7.63 per ring. I’m rounding up to $9 to cover consumables (black high temp engine enamel paint, eventual replacement of my angle grinder wheel, 1 beer).

Cost:

•Shipped: $9 each d-ring + $8 shipping (USPS flat rate box)

•Local pick-up (Houston): $9 each D-ring (I’ll help with the install)​

How to Order:

PM me with what you want, whether you want to pay through Venmo or PayPal, and I’ll send you the total. I’ll order your stock once I receive payment. Delivery time will vary since I only bought a few to start and might have to order more, but from payment to your doorstep should be within 2 weeks or less.

FAQs:

Q: Why are you selling these at cost?

A: Well, I’ve seen plenty of posts where fellow owners are looking for a bolt-on solution and don't want to hassle with the modification to the d-rings. With the cost of tools and setup, having 2 young kids, I understand that can be cost prohibitive for some and the time to modify the rings can be a factor. One of my favorite tools to use is an angle grinder (sparks flying!) and since I’m all setup, it only takes me 10-15 mins total time to make a set of 6, unless I’m changing color. So, I’m glad to have a little fun DIY action and help out fellow Raptor owners out at the same time who also contribute to this forum and community.

Q: Why don’t I just order one of the 3-point ratcheting strap kits available from one of the vendors?

A: If you like your tire mounting solution, you can keep your tire mounting solution! I like the looks of those kits too, and only having one ratchet is nice. Plus, if you’re looking at just mounting a second spare, the cost for 4 rings plus the straps I used ($40 + $30 = $70) is getting pretty close to the cost of the 3-point ratchet kits ($100ish). I didn’t go that route for a couple reasons: 1) I didn’t want to drill new holes into my bed and worry about loads on the aluminum, even with some reinforcement, 2) I use my truck a lot for its utility and wanted the extra 6 tie-down points, and 3) the solution I used still looks really clean and fit for purpose.

Q: Can I get a discount?

A: I’m selling these at cost. Not looking to make any money, just offer up an easy and clean solution for other owners. If you pick them up, I’ll throw in a firm handshake.

Let me know if you want a set. I only have 1 set (6) on hand right now, so I’ll wait a few days to see if there’s some interest and I’ll make a large order from the Mopar dealer.

Cheers! :favorites13:

Last edited:

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m taking orders for ready-to-install bed bolt mounted D-ring tie downs AT COST.

c3df4ed2-637f-409f-94ed-7391eab7780d.jpg

After doing some research, I found this solution for mounting my 2nd spare: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f264/bed-bolt-tie-down-install-54540/

I installed 6 of these for TRR to secure my recovery kit and 2nd spare and they were AWESOME. They held up great, were beefy, and very functional as a tie-down point for multiple ratchets. The straps I used were 2” locking ratchets with hooks from Amazon for $30 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GIMUDEQ/?tag=fordraptorforum-20 ). You could use something less beefy, like some 1” or 1-1/2” straps, but I like the look of the bigger ones. We’re only talking about a 100lb tire/wheel – I think two 2,500lbs WLL straps might be a bit overkill.

IMG_1670.jpg

Process to make these:
• Order rings from a MOPAR parts supplier (I know, I know – sacrilege)
• Grind to fit bed bolts
• Touch-up paint with black gloss high-temp enamel engine paint (hardest stuff I know of to prevent chipping)​

IMG_1569.jpg

How to install:
• Remove bed bolts with T-50 torx bit
• Push bed bolt through d-ring and “hand tighten” bed bolts
• Use a ratchet strap to keep d-rings from rotating while applying final torque
• Torque bed bolt to 56-ft-lbs​

IMG_1568.jpg

Supplier: https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-retainer-5170492aa

Pricing:
If I order 12 at a time to save on shipping, the best price I can find for these online from a reliable source is $91.56 (including shipping). That comes out to $7.63 per ring. I’m rounding up to $9 to cover consumables (black high temp engine enamel paint, eventual replacement of my angle grinder wheel, 1 beer).

Cost:
• Shipped: $9 each d-ring + $8 shipping (USPS flat rate box)
• Local pick-up (Houston): $9 each D-ring (I’ll help with the install)
• Extras:​
o Custom color: $10 per order – can of paint and multiple coats (time)
o T-50 Torx bit for 1/2" drive: $7 or you can just get one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002NYBZ0/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

How to Order:
PM me with what you want, whether you want to pay through Venmo, PayPal, or cash (local pickup), and I’ll send you the total. Delivery time will vary since I only bought a few to start and might have to order more, but from payment to your doorstep should be within 2 weeks or less.

FAQs:

Q: Why are you selling these at cost?
A: Well, I’ve seen plenty of posts where fellow owners are looking for a bolt-on solution and don't want to hassle with the modification to the d-rings. With the cost of tools and setup, having 2 young kids, I understand that can be cost prohibitive for some and the time to modify the rings can be a factor. One of my favorite tools to use is an angle grinder (sparks flying!) and since I’m all setup, it only takes me 10-15 mins total time to make a set of 6, unless I’m changing color. So, I’m glad to have a little fun DIY action and help out fellow Raptor owners out at the same time who also contribute to this forum and community.

Q: Why don’t I just order one of the 3-point ratcheting strap kits available from one of the vendors?
A: If you like your tire mounting solution, you can keep your tire mounting solution! I like the looks of those kits too, and only having one ratchet is nice. Plus, if you’re looking at just mounting a second spare, the cost for 4 rings plus the straps I used ($40 + $30 = $70) is getting pretty close to the cost of the 3-point ratchet kits ($100ish). I didn’t go that route for a couple reasons: 1) I didn’t want to drill new holes into my bed and worry about loads on the aluminum, even with some reinforcement, 2) I use my truck a lot for its utility and wanted the extra 6 tie-down points, and 3) the solution I used still looks really clean and fit for purpose.

Q: Can I get a discount?
A: I’m selling these at cost. Not looking to make any money, just offer up an easy and clean solution for other owners. If you pick them up, I’ll throw in a firm handshake.

Let me know if you want a set. I only have 1 set (6) on hand right now, so I’ll wait a few days to see if there’s some interest and I’ll make a large order from the Mopar dealer.

Cheers! :favorites13:

I used 4 of these in the back seat area bolted through the body. 2 Behind the driver side and passenger side seat each. There are great for tieing down the miscellaneous crap in the cab so it doesn't fly around.

OP
OP
Talbor

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to this post - http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/cheap-bed-ring-mod-44939/ - they work on the Gen 1 Raptors.

I have a buddy coming over tonight with a previous gen F-150 that I can test fit them on to verify. I'll check and report back.

Yup - can confirm. They will work on a Gen 1.

I’ve got a couple order requests and will wait until the end of the day (and until I receive payment) to order the stock to modify and send out. Any ordered today should arrive by the end of next week.

Carnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you grind away the bolt side of the bit that secured the ring how much weaker will it be? Doesn’t appear to be much material there to start with....

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

I’d also consider the liability if you provide these. Hate to be that way but someone loses a load if it breaks and you might get sued. Hard to just be a nice guy :(

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't grind the bit, just torque them down without the OEM washer and it will be fine.

R,
HAP

OP
OP
Talbor

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you grind away the bolt side of the bit that secured the ring how much weaker will it be? Doesn’t appear to be much material there to start with....

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

I’d also consider the liability if you provide these. Hate to be that way but someone loses a load if it breaks and you might get sued. Hard to just be a nice guy :(

There’s still plenty of metal holding in the d-ring, but I can’t accurately say what the de-rating is. In fact, I don’t know what the rating of the d-ring is unmodified - it’s not stated on any documentation or website that I can find. However, for comparison, these d-rings are rated for a 1,000lbs WLL with a break strength of 3,000lbs, and they’re considerably smaller.

abfaa0522774f87b55584312244719b8.jpg

Not a bad idea on the liability side. I’ll print out a general release of liability letter and include it with the D-rings. I personally have no concern about these breaking before any straps that I use.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

Don't grind the bit, just torque them down without the OEM washer and it will be fine.

R,

HAP

It doesn’t interfere with the OEM washer, but with the bed bolt itself - see the picture in the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.