Thinking about purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vhudoo

Reaction score
Hey I'm seriously considering taking the plunge and picking up a supercab. I stopped by my local dealership today and was thrown off by the experience a bit. First off, the dealership stated that they did not allow for test drives and they had a mark up of over $5k. They didn't have what I was looking for in inventory but told me that ford dealerships were allocated a certain allotment per year for orders, which they had one left that I could take advantage of.

Is it common practice not to allow test drives? I've never owned everything of this size and want to legitimately want to know how it handles given that it's quite the expense. Is it possible to pick up a supercab at msrp? Or can I expect it to be few and far between depending on my patience? Lastly, do the dealerships have restrictions around how many orders they can place for the raptor?

Again, this all seemed off to me especially after already testing out high german cars at other dealerships. Thanks!

Beauf

Reaction score
Yeah, it is common not to allow test drives, but maybe you will have better luck if you find a used Gen 2. I test drove one at a Lexus dealer and they didn't think anything of it. Markups are also common, but you can definitely get one at MSRP (you may have to travel depending on what market you are in). Dealers are assigned a certain number of allocations, so at least that part is true. Supercabs are far less common, but you should be able to order one at MSRP if you find the right dealer. There are a few threads on dealers who will do MSRP.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typical domestic car dealership tactics. They get a special model and think have struck gold. Truth is Raptors are FAR from being rare. They make 10-20,000 of the things a year. I would NEVER pay a mark up beyond msrp for a Raptor, that is just ridiculous. No test drive is also just insane. I have seen dealers go so far as to lock the doors on showroom models because they think they are too special for customers to even sit in????

If you insist on that dealer ship, go in and explain the above to the GM. If they really want to sell the truck they will give you the test drive and make you a regular deal on the truck. If they wont, someone else will. YES, you will probably have to travel to find a Ford dealer with sane management practices... The stupidity you experienced is unfortunately standard of the industry for domestic dealers.

OP
OP
V

vhudoo

Reaction score
Cool, thanks! Yeah I'm in no rush and would rather take that markup and put that into vacation/travel where I come back with the truck.

Also, I can see the supercabs are pretty rare in comparison to the screws. Any particular reason why? The supercabs back seating area seemed more than adequate. For the most part mine would be occupied by a 7yo and 3yo. I dig the look of the supercab more, just want to make sure I'm not missing something compared to the screw and shooting myself in the foot.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get it that potential raptor customers want to test drive the truck before spending that amount of money. I think for most, the test drive actually seals the deal as the raptor drives really really well. For this reason, dealers should allow test drives.

And Unless you are coming from a big truck, most do not realized how big a raptor is until you get behind the wheel.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

suicide doors are the worst. no one in the back seat can get out unless you open the door for them. I guess your kids can climb up front to get out if you want them to.

OP .. where are you in US? If you can wait for the 2019s, I know a dealer that will sell you a raptor at invoice. Ping me for details.

Cool, thanks! Yeah I'm in no rush and would rather take that markup and put that into vacation/travel where I come back with the truck.

Also, I can see the supercabs are pretty rare in comparison to the screws. Any particular reason why? The supercabs back seating area seemed more than adequate. For the most part mine would be occupied by a 7yo and 3yo. I dig the look of the supercab more, just want to make sure I'm not missing something compared to the screw and shooting myself in the foot.

POOPonYOU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor4You has a thread on this forum and he is selling Raptors at MSRP with a lifetime warranty. Call or text him at 615-708-5425. I know that doesn't solve the issue of you wanting a test drive but at least he can help you with the price. Good luck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Much of what @Snowsled says is correct.

When the 2017’s first hit the press pool, there were no Raptors. Then, dealer inventory started to trickle in, after some weeks of QA hold back. From about Mid December of ’16 - ~ March or April of ’17, Raptors were hard to see, hard to score and if you wanted one, the gold standard was MSRP.

That was then. This is now.

While the dealer isn’t lying about the allocation game, Raptor production numbers are 5 digits / year. it’s not rare. it may be hard to get for the overcharging dealer, but it’s not hard for you the consumer to buy. Paying markup is not a smart financial decision, that worth evaporates the second you sign the paperwork and you’re just paying the salebot’s vacation to Tahiti for a month. Literally.

Dealers have been known to be pretty tight with test drives, that said, if you have money in hand, there’s no reason to not let someone who’s not a tire kicker to convince them to buy. It sounds like your local dealer isn’t a motivated seller. Maybe they know they can sell the truck this way, maybe they know their market to the point that they can actually get more than msrp, but you shouldn’t pay it.

My advice: Don’t go back until you have your Raptor, then drop by and see the guy you spoke to who wouldn’t green light a test drive, to show him your Raptor and the sales agreement. :flipthebird:

#soworthit

I would have been fine with the SCAB, but SCREWs were 99% of the market when I bought. I have no regrets about buying the screw.

You’re right to angle for the test drive. I’ve had trucks, even off road capable trucks, but the Rap suspension is a change from the way normal trucks handle.

Good luck

OP
OP
V

vhudoo

Reaction score
My advice: Don’t go back until you have your Raptor, then drop by and see the guy you spoke to who wouldn’t green light a test drive, to show him your Raptor and the sales agreement. :flipthebird:

I actually did this back in 2004. At the time I was looking at older (late 70s, early 80s) porsche's. I had then on a whim stopped by a Mitsubishi dealer to check out the evo. The sales guy scoffed at me, turned away and walked back inside. Next day found a dealer that was accommodating, made a purchase, and paid the dealer that shunned me a visit. In hindsight, I should have picked up the 911 because of the stupid increase in prices.

sdorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer I bought mine from had no issues with a test drive. They had a fair number of Raptors on the lot, and said they sold 3 - 6 of them per month, so didn't really think of them as rare. They were also asking for a $5k markup, but I told them I wasn't paying over MSRP and showed them some other local dealers that were not charging markups either. They agreed to no markup without any issues.

It might also have helped that I arrived at the dealership in my Tesla Model S P100D, so they knew I wouldn't have any trouble buying the truck if I decided to.

Snowsled

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have a super cab and wouldn't really be interested in a crew. The SCAB fits in my garage better, holds people just fine in the back and is a foot shorter than the SCREW. I do not need nor want to haul a bunch of people in it. I need to have a truck for work and sledding otherwise I am a car guy. The smaller SCAB just fits the bill better for me and I agree, the SCAB is the better looking for sure. The reason the SCREWs took off is that every mommy in the land needs a four door truck these days to get groceries. Four door trucks are all the rage these days, everybody wants one, that is why you see so many.