Just picked up a 2012 w/ 92k miles. Things to check/upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hungover

Reaction score
I bought a used 2012 with 92k miles last week, and I was wondering if there was a good resource anywhere for things to check that commonly break with these trucks? The dealer was kind enough to give me a 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, so I was hoping to take advantage of that if/when anything needs to get replaced. It passed their "rigorous inspection", but who knows what the hell that means. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and have done most everything at one point or another. I also ordered a Corsa Extreme and a K&N cold air intake, so I'm looking forward to upgrading those parts.

Anything else I should do right away?

Also, do these engines (6.2l) not have a normal PCV system? I was getting 9.2 mpg around town, which seems lower than I saw in the gas mileage thread. I wasn't sure if that could be plugged up or something else entirely. Is there a good resource for common problems/issues? Air filter seems OK as well. I was also going to get an oil catch can, but at 92k miles I'm wondering if that's a lost cause.

Basically I'm trying to give this thing a thorough inspection and some TLC so it lasts for a long time. Any and all feedback is welcome!

edit: I should say: I "bought" the warranty. Not that they gave it to me.

KOBRA2848

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will love the Corsa Extreme exhaust. I put one on my truck last year and wished I had done it sooner. I put a Bob's Oil separator on my truck around 2000 miles and have been surprised with how much it has caught. Somewhere on here are pics of how I did it.

Mark

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a whole subforum but take it with a grain of salt :biggrin: The high-mileage-owners-please-check thread has a few things too. But 92k...that's just barely broken in :Big Laugh:

If the truck was in AZ it's whole life chances are you won't see rust issues or blown rear windows from using the defroster, but the sunroof can be problematic, as can fuse #27 if it hasn't been updated. Those are all more or less common issues with all of them, some have more issues than others with steering pump/rack, various electrical gremlins, water leaking into the third brake light, and depending on the previous owner, general abuse of suspension and drivetrain. The extended warranty is a DAMN good investment!!!

Anyway aside from oil changes and tire rotations I think the next service interval at 100k calls for spark plugs, there's a couple good threads on here that cover that. If I remember right 120k is transfer case oil (every 60k), then at 150k front & rear diff oil and transmission oil & filter.

If it was me I'd check out fuse #27, clean the MAF when you do the K&N and oil it lightly (the K&N not the MAF), and go over the whole truck with a fine tooth comb for wear/damage and fluid level/condition and go from there. 9.2mpg is pretty low compared to my '13 with 160k miles, I average 10 offroad and 12 in town, best I've seen on the highway is 13.3 (going downhill, was 13.2 the other direction lol!). But if you are heavy on the skinny pedal it'll be on the low side...

OP
OP
H

hungover

Reaction score
You will love the Corsa Extreme exhaust. I put one on my truck last year and wished I had done it sooner.

Awesome, and yah I have one on my Mustang and love it. It's the entire reason I decided to go that route... can't beat the sound!

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

9.2mpg is pretty low compared to my '13 with 160k miles, I average 10 offroad and 12 in town, best I've seen on the highway is 13.3 (going downhill, was 13.2 the other direction lol!). But if you are heavy on the skinny pedal it'll be on the low side...

Thanks for all of the information. And yea I was honestly not going to buy the warranty, until they told me it even covers shocks. Who does that?!

As far as the mpg, I'm actually quite light on the pedal. Ever since I got into muscle cars I tend to over-baby things I drive, so that when I really beat it up I don't feel *quite* as bad. Good call on cleaning the MAF, I'll have to do that too. I was reading about a spark plug change too, these things have upper AND lower plugs?

Sorcery.

Anyhow, thanks again for the tips.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the information. And yea I was honestly not going to buy the warranty, until they told me it even covers shocks. Who does that?!

As far as the mpg, I'm actually quite light on the pedal. Ever since I got into muscle cars I tend to over-baby things I drive, so that when I really beat it up I don't feel *quite* as bad. Good call on cleaning the MAF, I'll have to do that too. I was reading about a spark plug change too, these things have upper AND lower plugs?

Sorcery.

Anyhow, thanks again for the tips.

Right?!? Yep 16 plugs, not that bad though and at least they aren't the funky 5.4L early design...

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Change all fluids such as :front rear diffs, transfer case, trans , coolant.
Your shock are probably shot, so start saving for a rebuild or big $$$ shocks.
Get a vanity plate for sure. Best of luck and welcome.
Check for a
open recalls and bulletins like others ^^^^fuse 27, and trans lead frame.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free