VHF radio install pic's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch451

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what happened with the video. http://youtu.be/SmZ8aU9dpL0

This winter if i have the time i want to get my extra.

Tested today and got my Technician license. Woohoo, now I can finally install all this stuff, lol. Unfortunately my laptop has been out for repair for a bit now, so I wasn't able to study the General material, but the examiner said I could come back within the year and take it and they won't charge me. Hopefully I can find a garage to use so I don't freeze my ass off running wires. I'll get pictures posted once everything is in.

Since I want to mount the face plate in the headliner, hopefully I can come up with a mounting plate that'll work where I can put a couple more switches in it for whatever.

OP
OP
Wilson

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tested today and got my Technician license. Woohoo, now I can finally install all this stuff, lol. Unfortunately my laptop has been out for repair for a bit now, so I wasn't able to study the General material, but the examiner said I could come back within the year and take it and they won't charge me. Hopefully I can find a garage to use so I don't freeze my ass off running wires. I'll get pictures posted once everything is in.

Since I want to mount the face plate in the headliner, hopefully I can come up with a mounting plate that'll work where I can put a couple more switches in it for whatever.

You can use my garage if you wire mine or just use my garage

All The Way

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The General test isn't to bad.. The Extra test is gonna be fun.

rkneeshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed my antenna mount today, what a bitch that was. Getting under the carpet and into the console cleanly is a real challenge. But finally, after about 3 hours, I got it in.

IMG_20180516_1329250.jpg

IMG_20180516_1307188.jpg

IMG_20180516_1307374.jpg

IMG_20180516_1308054.jpg

IMG_20180516_1557492.jpg

Now I need to order a radio :)

And terminate my power and ground
And connect RJ45 jack to the side of the cupholders

DEGBTI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed my antenna mount today, what a bitch that was. Getting under the carpet and into the console cleanly is a real challenge. But finally, after about 3 hours, I got it in.

IMG_20180516_1329250.jpg

IMG_20180516_1307188.jpg

IMG_20180516_1307374.jpg

IMG_20180516_1308054.jpg

IMG_20180516_1557492.jpg

Now I need to order a radio :)

And terminate my power and ground
And connect RJ45 jack to the side of the cupholders

going to install my antenna mount friday. Same as yours. Any advice? going to my center console too. thanks

rkneeshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going to install my antenna mount friday. Same as yours. Any advice? going to my center console too. thanks

Be prepared to be patient, and you're going to have to almost entirely dismantle your center console.

I had to remove the passenger seat (at least unbolt it and move it out of the way) so I could get enough slack in the carpet to run the antenna cable accross and up to the back of the console.

From there you'll have to remove the 2 8mm bolts near the bottom rear sides of the console so you can lift the console up about an inch or two, giving you enough room to get that large antenna connector routed up and in.

I chose to run my wiring right under the little media hub inside the console. That way the hole i cut will be really hard to see.

i also intend to use the aux in ports on that little media hub in there to pipe the audio from the radio into the built-in stereo system.

I also ran a small amount of cat5 forward to the front of the cup holders and I intend to put a RJ45 jack there on the side of the cupholders so the mic can plug in there.

Be prepared to bleed too :) my hands are all cut up.

But in the end, it will be real clean and OEM like.